shrieking at being mounted Long haired sow in season

Olivitree

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Heya folks. I recently got a rescue youngster to go with my neutered boar, I figured she just would just out run him and not entertain his advances until some time later, I knew they started seasons early but I figured she’d be too busy being small and daft, but as soon as she had her first heat, chaos! She’d accept his attentions but seemed to shout about it a lot, It did settle down again ok and there wasn’t too much drama compared to now, this time around there it sounds like it’s escalated to shrieking, I watched for ages trying to work out the cause, I’m not 100% sure but I’ve Narrowed it down to either he’s pulling her hair by accident,it’s quite long, we have issues with it, she hates it being brushed however gently and doesn’t even like it if I most stealthily slip scissors under a lock Of hair and gently snip it. I’ve managed to cut it fairly short, but it’s utter chaos in the process and still seems to be a little troublesome.
perhaps he’s really bad at this mounting thing and is hurting her, he’s somewhere between 1 and 2 years old and hasn’t really learned how to handle ladies as his previous partner was a boy and who he originally was with when he came to us was an older lady and sadly passed away after only a short time together.
My last and possibly most accurate possibility she’s being majorly dramatic about the whole affair (which is fair enough really).

I kind of just want some reassurance/advice from people in the know, should I separate them when she goes into season until she matches him In weight a bit more? let it just run it’s course or, what really? I’ve flattened out some of the wood hides so only she can get under them comfortably, he has to duck and physically can’t mount her under there In an attempt to give her an escape, but he just shoos her out. What can I do? Should I do anything?
If it helps he’s about 1000g, smallest boar I’ve ever had, she’s somewhere between the 400g and 600g range I haven’t managed to weigh her in a little while and she’s been growing so fast, but weighing her is hard, keep saying chaos, but she is just that, she is dubbed chaos pig, she’s a wild one and won’t sit still if you give her a chance, she climbs everything, she’s even taught my boar how to jump up on top of the log hides. She’s very sweet but very intense and screams the loudest at dinner time, or if you open crisps...or talk, or exist😱 we love her to bits, her sister is completely the opposite, so chill.

also... any advice on how to deal with long haired piggies, very welcome. D:

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’d leave it and let them get on with it. It’s something they’ve got to go through and she is probably just being dramatic.
how old is she?
separating them When she is in season isn’t an option - they’d be apart for a few days every two or so weeks, and then you’d have to neutral territory rebond constantly - the stress of all that would be bad for them.

Olivitree

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d leave it and let them get on with it. It’s something they’ve got to go through and she is probably just being dramatic.
how old is she?
separating them When she is in season isn’t an option - they’d be apart for a few days every two or so weeks, and then you’d have to neutral territory rebond constantly - the stress of all that would be bad for them.
Ok fab, thank you! I had a feeling that would be the best course of action, but I wanted to double check that I didn't need to rescue her.

She's about 4 months old, I haven't got her exact birthdate but it was some time in August or late July I think.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If she is letting him catch her the squealing is probably submission squealing- sounds very dramatic but it is usually deliberate, she is flattering his ego saying "ooh you big strong boss man you caught me I am yours!"
If she didnt want to mate she would spray pee in his eyes or flip round and lunge at him and teeth chatter, submission squealing can be a good sign early on in a piggy relationship, she will let him think he is boss pig then once he is utterly in love with her she will be able to steal his dinner with a sexy ear wiggle :)

Danielle Smith

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Agree with everything said so far, it is for sure a positive sign as she's just being submissive. For what it's worth, some of my ladies definitely get their squeal or whine on when they are in heat. It is them saying "no not yet!" but all the boar hears is "I am ready very soon" and can lead to some noisy chases. Again, perfectly normal and will subside over a day or three.

Olivitree

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks folks, she’s calmed down a lot, I think a hair cut did help as she was squealing at me occasionally when trying to pick her up, unless I was getting involved accidentally, but she’s chilled now and having your words of wisdom made it less stressful for me, so thank you!