• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sick Piggie

Hannah Monteith

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello
Our 7.5 month old Ginger is ill. I'm not sure what it is, but she's lost weight, is very listless but she is eating (not huge amounts like her much bigger sisters) and drinking. She seems perkier today so I'm wondering if I should get a vit c supplement into her and if there's anything else I can do to help her recover.
Thanks

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello
Our 7.5 month old Ginger is ill. I'm not sure what it is, but she's lost weight, is very listless but she is eating (not huge amounts like her much bigger sisters) and drinking. She seems perkier today so I'm wondering if I should get a vit c supplement into her and if there's anything else I can do to help her recover.
Thanks
Hi and welcome

Please see a vet promptly! Any guinea pig that is losing weight and that is apathetic is a very ill piggy indeed and is in danger of dying if not being diagnosed and vet treated. Especially listlessness is one of the major alarm signals. Guinea pigs are prey animals; they hide illness as long as possible. if they no longer can, then they are seriously ill.
Untreated infections can lead to long term damage and problems, even if they are being survived.
Please have a look at these links:
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies

Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding

Please be aware that just watching your guinea pig nibble on a little veg is deceptive. Over 80% of the daily food intake should be hay. You can only control that by weighing daily at the same time instead of the weekly weigh-in. Veg and pellets make perhaps 15% of what a piggy is eating normally. If a guinea pig has been eating too little for too long, its guts will slow down and eventually close down, and it will die. It will also not have the strength to fight whatever illness it is suffering from.
You need to go on alert as soon as your guinea pig has lost more than 2 oz and need to see a vet urgently if it loses 100g/3 oz of weigh.
Additionally you should be stepping in with syringe feeding fibre and water as soon as your guinea pig is not eating fully/losing more than 50g/ca, 2 oz. In an emergency, you can use mushed up pellets and a 1 ml syringe from a pharmacy provided that you snip off the tip as shown in our syringe feeding guide, which shows you exactly how you go about support feeding. Please note that this only keeps your guinea pig alive; it doesn't cure the problem that is making it ill.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

You can give additional vitamin C, but please be aware that it does NOT replace a vet visit and do NOT replace support feeding. Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

The biggest sum you will spend on any pet are vet cost. It is important that you budget for them right from the start and that you put a sum of money into your vet fund on a weekly or monthly basis as part of the normal maintenance cost, so you can afford to see a vet at all times. Illness and emergencies never happen at a convenient time.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sort to hear that Ginger is unwell.
As @Wiebke said - go to a vet as soon as possible.
Please keep us posted.
Hope all turns out well