• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Singe uneutered boar alongside females - experiences/advice?

Carrie123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently lost one of my two piggies, and am trying to think of what is best to do for my little guy who is remaining. Romeo is 5 years old (ish, he was about 2 when I adopted him), but not in the best health (under-control eye problem which makes him mostly blind in one eye). He has always had super curly toes and nails too (not sure if this is a breed deformity or what, he's long haired), which makes him a little slow. He has been coping ok alone, but I am pretty sure he would be happier with some other pigs around.

Because of his health and age, I am reluctant to neuter or attempt to bond another young boar in the cage with him (partially because of how that might go, and secondly because I will be in the same single pig situation after Romeo passes away). There are also no boar-dating type things that I am aware of near me, unfortunately.

So I am considering getting an adjacent cage (shared wall) and another pair. From what I have read, it seems this would work ok with both males and females in the next door cage? I've nearly only had male pigs, so was considering females. But I have a couple of questions:
  • Do boars get too worked up from having sows next door? I don't want him hurling himself at the bars, hurting himself etc.
  • Is there any chance of pregnancy from having a shared wall? 😅 Has anyone heard of this? I want him to be able to see and hear the other pigs as much as possible, so was thinking to just have a grid dividing the cage. I don't think there is any risk of him jumping/climbing but I might put on a roof just to be sure (I know this is fully possible with younger/more agile pigs).
I'd be happy to take any suggestions :)

It is perfectly fine to keep a sow pair next door to a single boar. He will be agitated by the presence of girlies, but as he doesn’t have another boar living with him, you don’t have to worry about fights and breaking bonds. He will calm down though once he is used to having girls next door.
However it is absolutely vital that his cage is entirely secure, ideally with a lid. A boar, particularly one who isn’t used to sows, can become very determined to escape the cage and get in with the girls. They can climb grid bars and can use hideys etc as a way to get out. Don’t underestimate their determination!

Back