• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin Tag Contagious?

okjazz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve had my new baby pig for a few days now and she’s moved into the cage with my adult female who I rescued. I had seen a skin tag like flap on my adult pig’s nose before because my rabbit had it too (in the same spot) but never thought anything of it as it doesn’t affect her at all.E8412120-44D3-4EE9-B59E-E41DDAD6970D.webpE9862FE2-093A-47A2-BF8B-A3D230BBA117.webp Now my new pig has got two similar things under her nose that she definitely didn’t have before. I have attached a photo it’s not very good apologies.

But this must be something other than a skin tag if it’s contagious right?

Hi guys,

I’ve had my new baby pig for a few days now and she’s moved into the cage with my adult female who I rescued. I had seen a skin tag like flap on my adult pig’s nose before because my rabbit had it too (in the same spot) but never thought anything of it as it doesn’t affect her at all.View attachment 112406View attachment 112407 Now my new pig has got two similar things under her nose that she definitely didn’t have before. I have attached a photo it’s not very good apologies.

But this must be something other than a skin tag if it’s contagious right?

Hi! Unfortunately your pictures are not clear enough.

Please have her vet checked as to whether it is:
- a bite wound from another piggy
" Biting" And What You Can Do
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

- the onset of highly infectious and contagious ringworm: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

- cheilitis (lip infection): Guinea Lynx :: Cheilitis
Cheilitis is caused by feeding too much or too often fruit). if you have a piggy with cheilitis, please stop feeding any fruit and tomato altogether for the rest of its life. Fruit and tomato should only be feed sparingly no more than twice a week because the acid can cause tiny cracks in the skin through which bugs, some of them nasty can enter.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

How to reclaim vet cost in new guinea pigs: What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

Back