• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had a read on here and I've seen that small poos can mean not enough food intake or a digestive problem...

I'm not sure if it's coming from Beans or Toast but I'm inclined to say Beans because I found the poos in the house that 90% of the time it's only Beans who uses it.

I always monitor them whilst having their veg so I know she's definitely getting her fair share and I see her at the pellets when I put them in, she eats hay throughout the day and drinks from her water bottle so I'm at a loss as to how she's doing these small poos...

If it helps at all, Beans does a couple powdery pees sometimes daily, I got her checked at the vet who done a urine test and said she's not concerned about stones... but I'm now not so sure as the powdery pee is almost daily..

Should I put a grid divider in the cage to see for definite if it is Beans with the small poo?
Toast is on antibiotics so is it possibly this would account for the weird poos?
The only reason I haven't divided them yet is because Toast is a very nervous jittery pig and absolutely hates being away from Beans..

Don't know what to do for the best I'm worried about both piggies :(

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the powdery wees, it is very much normal, as long as it doesn't feel gritty then it is fine. What pellets do you feed?

For the small poos, could you get them out for floor time so you'd watch them if they did a small poo? If we get the pigs out for floor time we put it near the TV so we can watch the pigs and TV at the same time :)

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the powdery wees, it is very much normal, as long as it doesn't feel gritty then it is fine. What pellets do you feed?

For the small poos, could you get them out for floor time so you'd watch them if they did a small poo? If we get the pigs out for floor time we put it near the TV so we can watch the pigs and TV at the same time :)
Thank you. I'll do that tonight after work.
I feed Pets at Home nuggets because that's the only ones they'll eat and as far as I can tell they're the lowest in calcium?

If it was Toast, would the fact that she's on antibiotics mean she'd be doing small poos?

Oh yes, it wouldn't be the pellets the problem then.

It could be, I know antibiotics can upset the gut, which is why people give probiotic to balance it, but I don't have much knowledge about antibiotics I'm afraid, someone else will come along soon I'm sure!

Oh yes, it wouldn't be the pellets the problem then.

It could be, I know antibiotics can upset the gut, which is why people give probiotic to balance it, but I don't have much knowledge about antibiotics I'm afraid, someone else will come along soon I'm sure!
Thank you :)
Toast is also on probiotics but to be honest I'm almost certain it's not her.

Are small poos something to be concerned by? They're not all small just a few mixed in with normal ones

I have found small poos before after the pigs have had a certain veg, or a different size of veg, and even after they've had a stressful situation. The next day they are normal again, it's something you need to keep your eye on though

I have found small poos before after the pigs have had a certain veg, or a different size of veg, and even after they've had a stressful situation. The next day they are normal again, it's something you need to keep your eye on though
Thanks so much, I'll definitely keep an eye on it and if the piggies have any change to their eating habits or just in themselves I'll get them checked

I've had a read on here and I've seen that small poos can mean not enough food intake or a digestive problem...

I'm not sure if it's coming from Beans or Toast but I'm inclined to say Beans because I found the poos in the house that 90% of the time it's only Beans who uses it.

I always monitor them whilst having their veg so I know she's definitely getting her fair share and I see her at the pellets when I put them in, she eats hay throughout the day and drinks from her water bottle so I'm at a loss as to how she's doing these small poos...

If it helps at all, Beans does a couple powdery pees sometimes daily, I got her checked at the vet who done a urine test and said she's not concerned about stones... but I'm now not so sure as the powdery pee is almost daily..

Should I put a grid divider in the cage to see for definite if it is Beans with the small poo?
Toast is on antibiotics so is it possibly this would account for the weird poos?
The only reason I haven't divided them yet is because Toast is a very nervous jittery pig and absolutely hates being away from Beans..

Don't know what to do for the best I'm worried about both piggies :(

Regular poo size varies from guinea pig to guinea pig; some of my sows' poos are double the size of those of others for instance without there being anything wrong. Please don't panic and do not separate your girls!

The first thing that you should do is establish as new owner is to get a feel for what is "normal" for your guinea pigs. Smaller (and especially thinner) poos have to be judged only in relation to that established "normality". You are looking for changes which also should correlate with loss of weight in relation to their normal poos.

Milky/Powdery pee means that an excess of calcium is being excreted, which is the normal process a guinea pig body deals with this issue and it is nothing to worry about. You only should consider cutting out veg, pellets and water high in calcium if you see calcium pees on a pretty much daily basis or consult a vet if the powdery residue contains hard gritty bits (could be an indication of sludge).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back