• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Spindle Cell Sarcoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJGiebz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello Everyone -

Does anyone have any experience with this type of tumor - spindle cell sarcoma - in their piggies? My sweet boy was diagnosed with one today. It was removed last week, but will grow back. I'm curious to know what types of treatment people have tried, and just generally what your experiences have been.

Many thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Hi, apparantaly that is quite rear what sort of test did you vet proform to arive at that diagnosese

Hi and welcome , :wel:

Hello - the vet did a fine needle aspiration, from which she determined that it was probably a spindle cell tumor. After removing as much of the tumor as she could (not all of it) on Friday, it was sent to a lab for full toxicology, and the results came back today. Spindle Cell Sarcoma with the cells splitting at a 'low to intermediate' rate.

So its a form of cancer, l hope one of the other members can help.
How is afecting his day to da life

Sorry to hear your little one is not well.

Spindle cell sarcoma's are sadly malignant, though there are much worse cancers than this. At a low to intermediate grade this means the tumour itself will grow relatively slowly and have a lower chance of spreading tlo other parts of the body. Spindle cell sarcoma's can be treated by removing all of the tumour itself with some margins of skin to be sure. Is this at all possible? Sadly if not then it may well be a case of keeping your little one comfortable.

So a sorry I can't put all this in a nicer way.
Thinking of you both

x

Last edited:
Hi - yes your thread title was very familiar to me as I am just going though the same thing with one of my boars - Barney Bubbles. Sorry to hear you are too.
His thread is here and the lab tests showed spindle cell sarcoma - intermediate grade.
Barney Bubbles In Surgery Today - Lump Removal
Barney had the lump completely removed but we are in the same position as you ie have to wait and see if the lump returns.
The vet did mention some treatments but none of them appeared very ethical in a guinea pig eg radiation.
During vet visits there was a mention of metacam being used long term as it has sometimes reduced tumour growth - @Abi_nurse - have you any thoughts on that theory? But then my vet decided that not that useful with this type of tumour so not sure on that!
Where abouts on your piggie was the lump?

During vet visits there was a mention of metacam being used long term as it has sometimes reduced tumour growth - @Abi_nurse - have you any thoughts on that theory? But then my vet decided that not that useful with this type of tumour so not sure on that!
Where abouts on your piggie was the lump?

I'm no oncology expert, I think there is some evidence behind anti inflammatory drugs used for tumours but I'm not sure on what types or how successful to be honest so I wouldn't like to say either way. Sorry not a huge help on that one. The only treatment I know of for spindle cell tumours are complete removal with good skin margins to ensure the whole mass is taken.

X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back