• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Spreading ringworm to guinea pigs

cashewandpeppa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve searched this forum and other reputable veterinary websites online, but no one has been clear about the possibility of a human with ringworm transferring it to their guinea pigs.

I don’t have ringworm, but my girls finally got rid of theirs - they were both from pet stores. In the case I ever got ringworm, I wouldn’t want to endanger them.

I’ve searched this forum and other reputable veterinary websites online, but no one has been clear about the possibility of a human with ringworm transferring it to their guinea pigs.

I don’t have ringworm, but my girls finally got rid of theirs - they were both from pet stores. In the case I ever got ringworm, I wouldn’t want to endanger them.

Hi

Yes, you can spread ringworm to your piggies, more easily via your clothing, shoes, hair or directly via your body in case of an acute infection - all it takes is one invisibly small ringworm spore being carried and passed over to another human or another pet of yours. It is the single most contagious species jumping problem that you'll encounter. Children generally worse affected by ringworm than adults.

Our very detailed ringworm hygiene measures work both ways - to protect you from ringworm in your guinea pigs but also to protect your guinea pigs from anything you could transmit to them directly or indirectly.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Back