• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

starting baby guinea pigs on vegetables and what veggies are best

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya just wondered if anyone could help me, I’m hoping to adopt two baby sows and just wonder d what would be the best vegetables to start them on and portion size? I’ve done some research but just wanted to know the best vegetables to give and how often etc.
thankyou!

There's a comprehensive feeding guide somewhere at the top of the "food" section of the forum, I cant link it from my phone but hopefully someone else can if you can't find it! Peppers (bell peppers) and coriander/cilantro are good daily or at least regular veggies high in the vit C that piggies need- can't go wrong with a slice of pepper and 3 or 4 stems of coriander. Cucumber is also a popular daily veg, a slice each. Baby leaf salad mix is good, maybe a handful, or little gem or romaine lettuce, a small leaf or half a big leaf each. Spinach, kale, parsley or dill are good foods but high calcium so fed sparingly once or twice a week. Occasional carrots or babycorn but not too much- these are very high calorie- just a slice, once or twice a week as a treat, definitely not a whole one each! And my piggies loooove beansprouts which are a good source of vit C but not all piggies like them...
Hope this helps!

Welcome.
My Finn and Lara get a cup to a cup and a half of veggies per day. Romain lettuce is given daily. Other veggies include cucumber, celery, cilantro, parsley, dandelion are given together in rotation along with their daily romaine lettuce.
As treats, I give them carrot, apple, pear, grape on occasion only.
Oxbow hay is always given throughout the day so they never run out.

Welcome to the forum
I can’t link the food guide either but @PigglePuggle has given good guidance.
Mine also enjoy chicory from time to time.
None of mine will eat bean sprouts!

When do you expect to get your girls?
We will want pictures
@Merab's Slave 's piggy Queen Jemimah Fuzzy Pants really, really hates beansprouts, never did I get regarded with such contempt by anyone as when I tried serve her those for dinner! But my piggies hoover them up :)

There's a comprehensive feeding guide somewhere at the top of the "food" section of the forum, I cant link it from my phone but hopefully someone else can if you can't find it! Peppers (bell peppers) and coriander/cilantro are good daily or at least regular veggies high in the vit C that piggies need- can't go wrong with a slice of pepper and 3 or 4 stems of coriander. Cucumber is also a popular daily veg, a slice each. Baby leaf salad mix is good, maybe a handful, or little gem or romaine lettuce, a small leaf or half a big leaf each. Spinach, kale, parsley or dill are good foods but high calcium so fed sparingly once or twice a week. Occasional carrots or babycorn but not too much- these are very high calorie- just a slice, once or twice a week as a treat, definitely not a whole one each! And my piggies loooove beansprouts which are a good source of vit C but not all piggies like them...
Hope this helps!
Thankyou so much! That helps me a lot 😀 do you have any piggie pictures I’d love to see!

Welcome to the forum
I can’t link the food guide either but @PigglePuggle has given good guidance.
Mine also enjoy chicory from time to time.
None of mine will eat bean sprouts!

When do you expect to get your girls?
We will want pictures
Hoping to get them after everything blows over here in the Uk! Will definitely post pictures I can’t wait to get them😀same to you! Pls send any pictures you have of your piggies❤️ x

Hope this helps!
Do you also feed pellets? There’s a lot of mixed reviews about pellets and which are best. Which would you recommend?

Do you also feed pellets? There’s a lot of mixed reviews about pellets and which are best. Which would you recommend?
In the food guide there's a section on pellets with a comparison chart. I feed the lowest calcium pellets as my sow had blood and excess calcium in her urine when she was young.

In the food guide there's a section on pellets with a comparison chart. I feed the lowest calcium pellets as my sow had blood and excess calcium in her urine when she was young.
Okay thankyou for your help! And oh gosh :( hope she’s ok now? X

My piggies eat Science Selectivr Grain Free pellets, just a spoonful a day (about 24 pellets) for my big chubby adult piggies is plenty! And of course piles and piles of unlimited tasty hay is the best main piggy food :)
Okay thankyou! Xx

Back