• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Statistically Impossible!

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So here I am watching Big Bang Theory re-runs and I hear some chirping. I immediately look for Cissy, it's not her. So I look to Bella and it's not her either. IT WAS IGGY. I have another chirping pig?

This must surely be a learned behaviour as it's statistically unlikely, perhaps even impossible to have THREE chirping pigs out of five without some aspect of learning.

I'm reeling from this, it was perhaps the single most beautiful song I've heard from my babies, albeit very brief. He was standing on his hind legs staring at the girls, mating song? Serenading them perhaps?

Has anyone else had experience in it potentially being learnt behaviour? I swear I will find out what it means before I die. It is so common in my house yet I know how rare it is. Now I just need Drommy and Tonks to learn and I have a Pigson 5 on my hands :))

I have found that other guinea pigs seem to be more encouraged to chirp if you have a frequent/regular chirper in the house. Mine is Heulwen, but she has the very occasional back-up singer.

Awwww! There may be some learning at play here. The two chirpers I had were at the same time, perhaps they learned it from each other! None of my other pairs have ever made that sound, but for awhile we heard it frequently from Linney and Sundae! Oddly, once Linney passed we had Sundae another 2.5 years and she never did that 'song' again, so it seems like it was something between the two of them!

I have one chirper out of 16, which is little Bridget one of my skinnies. She loves to do it in the middle of the night and wake the whole house up.

I have a few chirpers and it is never the same one. Only happens once every few months though.

Yes please. If she could please teach Eden to chirp instead of squeak, it would be much appreciated. She makes my ears throb. She's so loud and high pitched!

Back