• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Stinky Piggie Cage!

Carp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi every one, hope every one is well and there piggies are wheeking!

I recently went to a pet show and saw all the guineas where on fleece bedding, so thought I'd switch to save money and be cheaper, used one of my sons old fleece blanket folded together.
But now they STINK... woodshavings never left any smell...
It wasn't even a day before they stank.. Am I missing a trick, was there more then just fleece?

Fleece does not work for everyone.you do need a good absorbent layer underneath as Claire mentions.i use ready made liners from a company called ziggypiggys.you need to sweep poos twice aday.Also a tray/cat litter tray helps to keep the hay and some urine and feaces contained.:)

Stinky piggies! Hope they didn't hear you!
I use Vetfleece with layers of newspapers underneath - change this every other day.
Just bought some Beaphar cage deodorant to try in their deep hay trays as these do have a little smell!
I only notice it when actually disturbing the layers to change them though!
Maybe it's like that TV advert "I've gone Noseblind"!

I use fleece with two layers of towel underneath, I’ve never noticed any smell from them, I have a litter tray with hay, they seem to do most of their wee’s in there & I change that daily. I love using fleece, & my piggies love it :)

I have a few litter trays too, with a paper based bedding and hay where they do most of their wees. They also wee in their hideys so I put little folded up fleece blankets in there which I change daily :) oh, and I also strategically place food bowls and toys in the corners of the cage to discourage them from weeing there :)

I use fleece with two layers of towel underneath, I’ve never noticed any smell from them, I have a litter tray with hay, they seem to do most of their wee’s in there & I change that daily. I love using fleece, & my piggies love it :)

So sew some towel in the middle of the fleece layers and should stink less lol?
They love the fleece so don't want to give up on it

I have a few litter trays too, with a paper based bedding and hay where they do most of their wees. They also wee in their hideys so I put little folded up fleece blankets in there which I change daily :) oh, and I also strategically place food bowls and toys in the corners of the cage to discourage them from weeing there :)

Maybe it's time for me to toilet train lol

So sew some towel in the middle of the fleece layers and should stink less lol?
They love the fleece so don't want to give up on it

I didn’t sow anything (I’m absolutely useless at anything crafty) I just put the towels in, then put the fleece on top. Has the fleece wicked?
When you learn where they pee more you could try putting extra absorbent layer, like a tea towel, so easy to remove, daily/every other day. Have you got a litter tray in there?

I didn’t sow anything (I’m absolutely useless at anything crafty) I just put the towels in, then put the fleece on top. Has the fleece wicked?
When you learn where they pee more you could try putting extra absorbent layer, like a tea towel, so easy to remove, daily/every other day. Have you got a litter tray in there?
No litter tray no,my work tought me it's near impossible to toilet train pigs?
I'll buy a new towl for under the fleece then!
I'm hoping this is an easier safer cheaper option for the pigs

No litter tray no,my work tought me it's near impossible to toilet train pigs?
I'll buy a new towl for under the fleece then!
I'm hoping this is an easier safer cheaper option for the pigs
I wouldn’t say they are toilet trained, I just put their hay rack above the litter tray, then line the litter tray with newspaper and hay, and as they like to wee where they eat, it does the job.
I hope the towels work out for you :)

My three have a 32 litre underbed storage box with hemp bedding and hay and two poundland litter trays with the same. The rest of the cage has fleece liners (fleece zorb fleece or fleece mattress protector fleece) with extra mats under their beds. I shake out the poops most days and change the fleece regularly.

Most of the wees go into the litter trays as they tend to see where they eat.

33xewls.jpg

156cw8k.jpg

wait, has the fleece wicked? if it hasnt the urine will not go through the fleece. You have to wick the fleece and use an absorbent layer underneath the fleece, like towels etc... or puppy pads. Fleece is not just a set and go type of bedding. You need to scoop the poop daily.

this is a good article about fleece Cali Cavy Collective: a blog about all things guinea pig: Guinea Pig 101: Fleece Bedding
The poop scooping each day is still what I'm expecting, just after a completely re-usable bedding

Back