• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Stinky pigs

WombleandBear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The past 3 weeks the guinea pigs have really started to smell. I have a sow and a boar (both 10 months old) and two other boars (6 months old) who live in my room in C&C cages. The smell has got to the point its almost eye watering and its wafting through a closed door, when I wake up my throat is pretty sore and my nose stings. My mum and dad want to sell the house and are threatening to put them outside if I can't deal with the smell.

I spot clean my pigs out twice a day and deep clean once a week. I've researched guinea dad liners but I keep getting mixed reviews and not sure if I should risk it as they are very pricey. My mum questioned if getting the two youngest neutered would help but I'm not so sure it would help? Any advice on odour free liners, tips and tricks for smell reduction and more affective methods of cleaning would be appreciated

Getting piggies neutered does not change their behaviour in any way it just takes away the ability to make babies. The more you clean, the more some piggies feel it's their duty to go around scent marking. I spot clean my piggies every other day (I have 5 piggies in a trio and a pair) when they are enjoying their time share in the run. My piggies are on fleece (from CandE Cosies which are on top of washable puppy pads) in a hutch. The hutch gets cleaned out once a week The hutch is in the garage and they never smell.

The past 3 weeks the guinea pigs have really started to smell. I have a sow and a boar (both 10 months old) and two other boars (6 months old) who live in my room in C&C cages. The smell has got to the point its almost eye watering and its wafting through a closed door, when I wake up my throat is pretty sore and my nose stings. My mum and dad want to sell the house and are threatening to put them outside if I can't deal with the smell.

I spot clean my pigs out twice a day and deep clean once a week. I've researched guinea dad liners but I keep getting mixed reviews and not sure if I should risk it as they are very pricey. My mum questioned if getting the two youngest neutered would help but I'm not so sure it would help? Any advice on odour free liners, tips and tricks for smell reduction and more affective methods of cleaning would be appreciated

Indoors piggy cages are best cleaned out twice a week. It is the ammonia in the urine that is causing the smell; whatever the bedding. You may also want to do a quick bedding change before a viewing.

I assume that one of your mixed pair is de-sexed?

Indoors piggy cages are best cleaned out twice a week. It is the ammonia in the urine that is causing the smell; whatever the bedding. You may also want to do a quick bedding change before a viewing.

I assume that one of your mixed pair is de-sexed?
I'll start cleaning them out twice a week then. And yes, the male in the mixed sex pair is neutered, don't want a repeat of what happened last time with surprise babies lol

I'll start cleaning them out twice a week then. And yes, the male in the mixed sex pair is neutered, don't want a repeat of what happened last time with surprise babies lol

Please also be aware that 6 months old boys are at a life time high of testosterone, so they can really crank it out and stink up a room in 5 minutes. If possible, air your room before any visits.

Unfortunately neutering doesn't curb this. My now ca. 7 year old Pioden had the stinkiest testosterone exhaust I have ever met in a boar...

We use fleece bedding that I made myself. And a six or eight layer patch of newspaper under the damper areas of the fleece.
Poo Patrol every morning and full clean out twice a week.

We have got Guinea Dad liners in our girls’ cage and we’re very pleased with them! For the boys we have a Kavee cage liner with some additional fleece fabric underneath. We remove poos in the cage once a day (I think the boys would drown in poos otherwise haha) and swap bedding in the litter trays every 2-3 days. And then once a week we do a full cage clean. Apart from the boys excessive scent marking some days we don’t have any problems with smell 😊

Back