• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HeatherW

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just gone to say goodnight to my piggies and noticed a couple of tiny blobs of reddish sticky goo stuck to the fleece. It seems to have become harder/stickier as it dries. It *could* have come from the pieces of bell pepper, but there's no food (or evidence that they've bern eating it) close by.

I've checked both my sows and there doesn't appear to be any sign that it's come from either of them, although I only noticed it because Jasmine was sat there and then moved out of the way. They've been at my parents' house for a week whilst I was away on holiday, but both are behaving perfectly normally.

I did wonder if there might be a slight discolouration to their wee. They're on shavings and the wet patches looked a little darker than usual, although I've inspected it and it could just be the light. Poos also look normal and there's plenty of them!

Any ideas? Is it something I should be worried about? Has anyone else come across this before? I've attached two pictures to show the colour and stickiness of it (which has become stickier pretty quickly as the air's got to it, which makes me think it's likely to have come from Jasmine). I don't suppose it could have come from a perineal sack?

IMG_20180405_235759.jpg

IMG_20180405_235808.jpg

Or could it be guinea snot if she's sneezed? If so, is it supposed to look like that?!

I've just gone to say goodnight to my piggies and noticed a couple of tiny blobs of reddish sticky goo stuck to the fleece. It seems to have become harder/stickier as it dries. It *could* have come from the pieces of bell pepper, but there's no food (or evidence that they've bern eating it) close by.

I've checked both my sows and there doesn't appear to be any sign that it's come from either of them, although I only noticed it because Jasmine was sat there and then moved out of the way. They've been at my parents' house for a week whilst I was away on holiday, but both are behaving perfectly normally.

I did wonder if there might be a slight discolouration to their wee. They're on shavings and the wet patches looked a little darker than usual, although I've inspected it and it could just be the light. Poos also look normal and there's plenty of them!

Any ideas? Is it something I should be worried about? Has anyone else come across this before? I've attached two pictures to show the colour and stickiness of it (which has become stickier pretty quickly as the air's got to it, which makes me think it's likely to have come from Jasmine). I don't suppose it could have come from a perineal sack?

View attachment 84172

View attachment 84173

It is hopefully just a one-off from the reproductive tract, but see a vet if there are more signs of goo or bleeding.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll definitely keep a very close eye.

Back