• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sudden grunting noise

Hiitshannah

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 4 year old guinea pig, Nutmeg, lost his friend about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, we noticed he was making a grunting noise (the same noise they make when they groom themselves) occasionally whilst eating and walking around. He sneezed 4 times in the space of an hour, but not since, his eyes look good, no discharge from eyes or nose, and his gums are pink. Today, he’s making the noise much less, but still occasionally, he’s running around wheeking and eating as normal. He went to the vets and they said his heart is fine, and he thinks it’s a very minor respiratory issue. We have been prescribed Metacam and Sulfatrim (Bactrim) for 1 week, as a ‘preventative measure’. I’m just not convinced it’s a respiratory issue, and I’m not sure it’s even an issue at all to be honest, perhaps just grunting whilst enjoying food? I have been giving him extra vitamin C since he lost his friend as I was worried he would get sick from the stress. I wondered if anyone had any thoughts? We were supposed to be bringing home a new friend to live with him this Sunday - I’m guessing that’s not a good idea until we know whatever it is has been sorted!

Thank you in advance and apologies for the jumbled post - my head is all over the place at the moment with worry!

Hi!

Please take a deep breath. The grunting noise is a mild sign of internal pain, like we grunt when we get elderly and have to get up from bending down or trying to twist around to scratch a hard to reach spot.

It is perfectly normal that you are jittery in the wake of a sudden, unexpected death but you have done right by having your remaining boy vet checked when you became worried. Since it is very unlikely to be something contagious, I would not worry about bringing home a new friend.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Hi!

Please take a deep breath. The grunting noise is a mild sign of internal pain, like we grunt when we get elderly and have to get up from bending down or trying to twist around to scratch a hard to reach spot.

It is perfectly normal that you are jittery in the wake of a sudden, unexpected death but you have done right by having your remaining boy vet checked when you became worried. Since it is very unlikely to be something contagious, I would not worry about bringing home a new friend.

Looking After a Bereaved Guinea Pig
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children
Thank you so much for your reply. I think the vet was just covering all bases with the meds, as his friend was hospitalised with a respiratory infection towards the end of a 3 month battle with paralysis (The noises he made sounded completely different to this, hence my doubts!)

Thank you for the links - I think I’ve read through every resource possible on the forum to try and prepare for a successful bonding (and to prepare for Nutmeg’s loss of his friend) so I’m hopeful he will take to his new friend and they can enjoy their lives together! Poor Nutmeg has been very lonely and follows me every time I go into a different room.

Back