• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tesco's value rabbit hutches :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikki

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I went to tesco's and they are selling rabbiot hutches for £40 that are way too small even for a single guinea :(

The size of their 'medium' £89.99 rabbit hutch is as follows:
Name Value
Accessories Included Fitting kit
Animal Rabbit
Home Assembly Yes
Material Wood
Product Depth 91 cm
Product Height 70 cm
Product Width 45 cm
Size Medium
Size - LxW in cm 91 x 45
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-7479.aspx link to hutch details

The value hutch is much smaller barely 3ft by about 1ft and that is a generous estimation.
It concerns me that a prominent retailer is promoting keeping animals in such conditions. Especially given the animal welfare act.

PLease e-mail:
[email protected]
with your opinions on the subject. :'(

Way too small!

When you enlarge the picture it looks like it's got wire floor too! :'( :'(

will email now.

This is what I have just e-mailed them.

Just thought I would ask if you would like to live in one of your WAY TOO SMALL value rabbit hutches? :tickedoff:
These are only value for the pet owner who maybe a bit naive about suitable housing for rabbits/guinea pigs.
I feel that you will only be contributing to providing these naive people a cheap option for their pet.
I have a rabbit, she lives in the house and has free run of the garden also, I cannot imagine putting her in a hutch of that ridiculous size, it would condemn her to a life of misery and boredom.
I do hope that you will consider withdrawing this item from sale.
I would appreciate your response to this matter.

Here is what I put, I wasn't angry with them, just tried to advise.

Dear Sir/Madam,

It has come to my attention that you are selling rabbit hutches for £40.00 that are 3ft x 1ft. That is no size for a rabbit and also hutches like this are suitable for guinea pigs the requirements for one guinea pig is 3ft x 2 ft and for 2 guinea pigs the requirements are 4ft x 2ft.

The hutches for sale in Tesco's are simply not up to standard. They also appear to have a wired floor which a guinea pig or bunny could hurt their foot on. Hutches should have a solid flooring.

I hope changes are made to the hutch, naive people may buy such an item but there are lots of people who care for these creatures who are trying to educate people in to providing the correct size hutch for their pet, Tesco are not helping the situation. Tesco are simply trying to make money without any regard for animal welfare.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course,

Yours Sincerely,

Louise Lacy

I have emailed them too - suggesting that they remove them from sale and urgently review the requirements for these animals.

I noticed my local Tesco selling a huge range of pet stuff in store now - including hamster cages etc. and as the biggest of the supermarkets it worries me how many people will buy these believing them to be adequate.

Sophie

My tesco aren't selling anything like that yet - saying that it's quite small.
Will email them now O0

I havent seen the new pets range in person so wont comment just yet :) I'm going later on and was wandering if its just the big stores that sell them :-\

I wrote to the Head office over a week ago when I saw them for sale in our large store. Not heard back as yet but I sent it via my shop I work in an express store ;)

What's worse is the 'indoor' rabbit and guinea pig cages - about 2 and bit feet long I think! 98)

And it's only £16! It was the only rabbit/guinea pig they had on the shelves in the actual store... I wonder how many poor animals will end up stuck in that... for a bargainous £16 I can see a lot of people buying it.

That one is small, I asked the staff, they said best thing to do was contact Head office, but noted my worries.
No reply from Head office yet.

Why not spend a bit more and get a 6 by 4 shed for them to free range in would be my answer to anyone asking 'are they worth it?'. Errr, not value moneywise or for the guineas, I don't even think they're a cheap option myself!

I've got an indoor cage that I got from pets at home years ago - but it cost about £60 then! I only use it for an emergency such as a poorly guinea that needs to come indoors - or for putting them in while I clean them out. It's far too small for them to live in for any length of time, poor things.

On the other end of the scale, I got a rabbit hutch from Freecycle which was described as 'large' and when I turned up in my people carrier, with the seats taken out, it was so large that I still couldn't shut the boot! You could fit a person in it (um, I wouldn't, but you know - it's BIG!).

What worries me that if people can't afford (or won't think about) decent housing (it needn't be expensive), let alone the cost of the animals, what about vets bills etc?

Grrrr.

Sophie

karenrgpr said:
Housing needn't be expensive, and thats expensive!

But the 2 and a bit foot indoor "Rabbit and Guinea Pig" indoor cage definitely isn't.... at only £16 I bet loads of people will buy them :-\

Eeeew, hadn't seen that, just the 89.99 one! Must pay attention to detail!

I think it is just in store Karen, that is where I saw the £40 hutch and the £16 cage. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back