• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The life of Dot and Bernie

Just wondering, does anyone else have a pair of guinea pigs that dont hate eachother, but one of them just doesnt want to be near the other, my problem is Dot. She isnt nasty to Bernie but if he gets too close to her she will spray pee at him, or sort of fake bite him.

She does this to me aswell, but she does really like a back stroke. Its just if i go near her mouth area. I'm definitly not splittinf them up, but Bernie is fine, he is the one who will go over to Dot and lick her ears, he popcorns around when Dot fake bites her lol.

They are a weird couple. I just wish Dot would let go of her defensiveness

Fake biting is on the mild form of dominance. She is just reminding Bernie that she is boss. Wee spraying is a very clear message to stay away.
But Bernie kicks her out of the houses whenever he wants that one lol and he just keeps on trying to lick her ears. Is there a chance they just cant figure out whos boss?

Sounds like they are just married lol!
Puggle isnt very nice to her beloved Theo, she follows him around nagging him and dominating him and sometimes telling him who he's allowed to hang out with, fortunately this effect is diluted a lot in a herd of 6 and a 26 square foot cage so they can both get away from each other!
I am a bit worried in advance about how intense a 2-pig relationship might be, for when Tallulah meets her potential new husband next week... after 6 weeks of girl cousins Piggle and Puggle living together we already knew we needed an extra piggy and more space as they didnt get on too well and they still dont, they snap and squabble all the time, cant even go to the vets in the same pet carrier... a married couple should be better though I hope? I'm sure Dot and Bernie love each other as much as any married couple do...

Sounds like they are just married lol!
Puggle isnt very nice to her beloved Theo, she follows him around nagging him and dominating him and sometimes telling him who he's allowed to hang out with, fortunately this effect is diluted a lot in a herd of 6 and a 26 square foot cage so they can both get away from each other!
I am a bit worried in advance about how intense a 2-pig relationship might be, for when Tallulah meets her potential new husband next week... after 6 weeks of girl cousins Piggle and Puggle living together we already knew we needed an extra piggy and more space as they didnt get on too well and they still dont, they snap and squabble all the time, cant even go to the vets in the same pet carrier... a married couple should be better though I hope? I'm sure Dot and Bernie love each other as much as any married couple do...
I just hope she never catches him and causes a wound by mistake. They are a strange pair

We've had a couple of accidental nips and usually the biter is very sorry and does a flattening themselves on the floor with submissive shame thing and then approaches the bitten piggy sideways in a non-confrontational way and licks the bite better and does lots of friendly face licking, very different to a full-on fight. When Jezzy got an accidental nose bite that looked a bit nasty we bathed it with saline and she was instantly the most popular piggy because saline must taste irresistable and everypig was queuing up to lick her face!

I've said before, my two completely love each other. Then I'll have a few days that Rupert stays well away, Jess is a terror! He's not allowed to do much!
Think it's just hormonal ladies calling the shots! I try not to worry, think because yours haven't been together too long you probably notice a lot more. After six years ish I just know the hormones are at full pelt and give him a rest sometimes!

I went from a pair of chilled out boars to a crazy girl with poor loverly Rupert! So different for me too when they first got together! Try not to worry so much :nod:

(Sorry I've completely missed a page, dopey seizure brain, tried to help from problem a while ago!
Grr!)

Made a new thread for these two, the bonding one might get confusing for new members. Heres my newest video of sort of a pig eye view of Dot and Bernie getting up to mischief. Enjoy 👍

The rustling is a bag of coriander. Sounds more like rain

what little cuties ! love when they respond to the bag shaking . never a better way to make a piggie happy than food !

Back