The Pigglingtons

Just a little update. Duck is loving his Metacam, knows the time it's coming and runs to the front of the cage to take it. His yellow tummy is much improved, so much so I haven't given him the bath the vet suggested. It's looking very much like he's on Metacam forever!

Rolo is now self appointed demander of food and very much reminds us of Red, this little one is very loud. The problem with him is he is set off every time one of us moves but he also can't always distinguish between us moving towards their room and a noise outside. He sets the other's off and they all get over excited, often for no reason. He's a very confident little piggy, he's going to be quite a character I think. We are looking forward to watching him develop.

Fuzz has become a worry in the last week. He has become very dominant and is not giving Fizz any peace. They are about 2.5 years old now, the same age Red and Brillo fell out and had their rolling ball fight. I don't want to separate them but I feel so sorry for Fizz, I really don't want him to retaliate because that would be the end of their bond. I've sat up most of the night for 3 nights in the last week because the evenings have been so bad. Wish I had a crystal ball, not sure if I'm doing the right thing keeping them together and risking a fight. These boys and their hormones, they've got through all the teen stages together only to be a worry now when all should be settled.
 
Just a little update. Duck is loving his Metacam, knows the time it's coming and runs to the front of the cage to take it. His yellow tummy is much improved, so much so I haven't given him the bath the vet suggested. It's looking very much like he's on Metacam forever!

Rolo is now self appointed demander of food and very much reminds us of Red, this little one is very loud. The problem with him is he is set off every time one of us moves but he also can't always distinguish between us moving towards their room and a noise outside. He sets the other's off and they all get over excited, often for no reason. He's a very confident little piggy, he's going to be quite a character I think. We are looking forward to watching him develop.

Fuzz has become a worry in the last week. He has become very dominant and is not giving Fizz any peace. They are about 2.5 years old now, the same age Red and Brillo fell out and had their rolling ball fight. I don't want to separate them but I feel so sorry for Fizz, I really don't want him to retaliate because that would be the end of their bond. I've sat up most of the night for 3 nights in the last week because the evenings have been so bad. Wish I had a crystal ball, not sure if I'm doing the right thing keeping them together and risking a fight. These boys and their hormones, they've got through all the teen stages together only to be a worry now when all should be settled.
Hope the boys can sort themselves out.
Glad Duck is feeling better with the Metacam and Roll has come into his own 😁
 
Just a little update. Duck is loving his Metacam, knows the time it's coming and runs to the front of the cage to take it. His yellow tummy is much improved, so much so I haven't given him the bath the vet suggested. It's looking very much like he's on Metacam forever!

Rolo is now self appointed demander of food and very much reminds us of Red, this little one is very loud. The problem with him is he is set off every time one of us moves but he also can't always distinguish between us moving towards their room and a noise outside. He sets the other's off and they all get over excited, often for no reason. He's a very confident little piggy, he's going to be quite a character I think. We are looking forward to watching him develop.

Fuzz has become a worry in the last week. He has become very dominant and is not giving Fizz any peace. They are about 2.5 years old now, the same age Red and Brillo fell out and had their rolling ball fight. I don't want to separate them but I feel so sorry for Fizz, I really don't want him to retaliate because that would be the end of their bond. I've sat up most of the night for 3 nights in the last week because the evenings have been so bad. Wish I had a crystal ball, not sure if I'm doing the right thing keeping them together and risking a fight. These boys and their hormones, they've got through all the teen stages together only to be a worry now when all should be settled.
Oh no I hope they settle down and stay together 🤞🏻🤞🏻
 
Duck has just been chirping on and off for some time. Wish we knew what it means, it obviously means something quite important as the others all froze. I had just given him his Metacam, perhaps he was telling me how much he appreciates it. :)

Fizz and Fuzz are still squabbling a lot but not quite so bad as they were. They are much happier when they can go out in the garden runs for a few hours a day, they are all so much more active out there chatting to the neighbours through the bars. It looks as if yesterday may have been their last day outside for this year. We have rain forecast now for several weeks (very heavy last night) and it takes the ground a week to dry out (heavy clay). I am working out how I can put up a pen linking the floor cages so the occupants of the top cages can take it in turns to visit the downstairs neighbours.

Rolo is settling in very well and is ruling Freddie at the moment. Fingers crossed Freddie still puts up with him when he is bigger.
 
I have been a bit concerned about Duck's progress so he has been to the vet again this afternoon.
She had a look at a hair sample under the microscope, he still has mites so had another dose of Stronghold. Bertie was not amused because he had to have it too!
The lump/scab on Duck's back has not healed and is oozing a little so it's looking more like skin cancer. His breathing is much improved since the weather has cooled down so he is going in for surgery on Monday. Given his age (7+) I wouldn't normally have a surgery but he is such a busy piggy and has a good appetite, he doesn't look or behave his age at all. The lump at the moment is in the top layers of skin so is not invasive to remove, if it is cancer it could go deeper very quickly and then be inoperable as it would effect the muscle at the top of the leg/around the hip. He is just too active and bright for PTS even though this scabby skin must be pulling when he walks. Despite the risks there is really no other option than to give him a chance of a pain free future. The position of the lump means Duck can be sat in a normal upright piggy position rather than on his side or back which puts more strain on the heart and lungs and Jemma is confident that she can do this procedure quickly so he won't be under for long at all.
Feeling very apprehensive, Monday can't come soon enough, I need this to be over!
 
I have been a bit concerned about Duck's progress so he has been to the vet again this afternoon.
She had a look at a hair sample under the microscope, he still has mites so had another dose of Stronghold. Bertie was not amused because he had to have it too!
The lump/scab on Duck's back has not healed and is oozing a little so it's looking more like skin cancer. His breathing is much improved since the weather has cooled down so he is going in for surgery on Monday. Given his age (7+) I wouldn't normally have a surgery but he is such a busy piggy and has a good appetite, he doesn't look or behave his age at all. The lump at the moment is in the top layers of skin so is not invasive to remove, if it is cancer it could go deeper very quickly and then be inoperable as it would effect the muscle at the top of the leg/around the hip. He is just too active and bright for PTS even though this scabby skin must be pulling when he walks. Despite the risks there is really no other option than to give him a chance of a pain free future. The position of the lump means Duck can be sat in a normal upright piggy position rather than on his side or back which puts more strain on the heart and lungs and Jemma is confident that she can do this procedure quickly so he won't be under for long at all.
Feeling very apprehensive, Monday can't come soon enough, I need this to be over!

HUGS
I am so very sorry for the difficult position you are finding yourself in and am keeping my fingers very firmly crossed for you.
 
I have been a bit concerned about Duck's progress so he has been to the vet again this afternoon.
She had a look at a hair sample under the microscope, he still has mites so had another dose of Stronghold. Bertie was not amused because he had to have it too!
The lump/scab on Duck's back has not healed and is oozing a little so it's looking more like skin cancer. His breathing is much improved since the weather has cooled down so he is going in for surgery on Monday. Given his age (7+) I wouldn't normally have a surgery but he is such a busy piggy and has a good appetite, he doesn't look or behave his age at all. The lump at the moment is in the top layers of skin so is not invasive to remove, if it is cancer it could go deeper very quickly and then be inoperable as it would effect the muscle at the top of the leg/around the hip. He is just too active and bright for PTS even though this scabby skin must be pulling when he walks. Despite the risks there is really no other option than to give him a chance of a pain free future. The position of the lump means Duck can be sat in a normal upright piggy position rather than on his side or back which puts more strain on the heart and lungs and Jemma is confident that she can do this procedure quickly so he won't be under for long at all.
Feeling very apprehensive, Monday can't come soon enough, I need this to be over!
Holding you in my heart and prayers for Monday
 
Duck is in recovery and doing very well, it was a very quick and straight forward procedure. We can pick him up this afternoon. I am so relieved. I did have a bit of a wrestle with myself over whether I had made the right decision but yesterday the lump was bothering him as he wouldn't stop biting it so I am convinced it was the best thing to do.
 
Ah that’s great news - well done Duck
Such a sweet amazing piggy ❤️
So pleased to read he is coming home later 🥰
 
Poor Duck's had a big shave, a quarter of his body! The cut is about an inch long. He is sleepy but has eaten some grass, dandelions and parsley. Red pepper and coriander were ignored. Not interested in hay. He has had a syringe feed and I'll give him another one later. He has to stay in a small cage until his next appointment on Thursday, the vet doesn't want him running around. I've made up a 1x2 grid cage and have it on a table so I can lift him out easily.
Duck has perfected the all human's are stupid and irritating look today!
 
Duck's walking is still wobbly, his back left leg is very stiff. He is much brighter in himself and eating a lot more so I was able to drop the mid morning syringe feed yesterday which give me more joined up time to get other stuff done! This mornings weigh in told me it was okay to drop he still gained some weight without it. I'm feeling a lot less stressed over Duck.
This afternoon Rolo challenged Freddie for top spot they are not happy. They are squabbling and teeth chattering every time they get near each other. They have been getting on so well. My stress levels didn't go down for long! :hb:
 
Duck's walking is still wobbly, his back left leg is very stiff. He is much brighter in himself and eating a lot more so I was able to drop the mid morning syringe feed yesterday which give me more joined up time to get other stuff done! This mornings weigh in told me it was okay to drop he still gained some weight without it. I'm feeling a lot less stressed over Duck.
This afternoon Rolo challenged Freddie for top spot they are not happy. They are squabbling and teeth chattering every time they get near each other. They have been getting on so well. My stress levels didn't go down for long! :hb:
I'm very happy for you that Duck is doing so much better.
And I'm very sorry about Rolo and Freddie. 🙈
 
Back
Top