• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Thinking About Re Homing :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately my 2 new piggies still aren't getting on, keep pouncing and I think trying to bite each other etc. sadly I don't have the room to separate them so am thinking I might have to re home them separately :-( I have emailed a rescue (from this site) as I know they will be able to bond my boys with a friend each who they actually like and then they will be happier. I feel I am just bein cruel and selfish if I keep them as they clearly aren't happy together. I am completely gutted but just want to do what is right for them. They are so sweet by themselves and love cuddles but at least if a rescue can re home them with a properly bonded friend they will be much happier piggies. Good for them but bad for me :-(

Oh how sad this has happened. I hope a rescue can take them on.

I can't tell you how gutted I am, but I just have to do what is best for them not myself

As I have already 2 bonded boars getting a female friend would be out of the question and I didn't think it was easy to get 2 makes to bond. Not only that but I love them both and would not be able to chose between them. I have ocd too so I feel a huge attachment to my animals and a huge sense of guilt which as you can imagine doesn't help. I am devastated but I just have to do right by them. To be honest I am very angry at petsathome for letting them go as a pair, it's unfair on them and (I know it sounds silly) but It's unfair on me also to have to say goodbye, i know i'll be in tears when the time comes. I would certainly never go to petsathome again knowing how little knowledge or anything they have!

I felt the same but thought you may not like me saying it. This is that stupid places fault. They are clueless about animal care. At least the boys were taken on my you so they can go to a rescue. Somebody else would have handed them back to that awful place.

As I have already 2 bonded boars getting a female friend would be out of the question and I didn't think it was easy to get 2 makes to bond. Not only that but I love them both and would not be able to chose between them. I have ocd too so I feel a huge attachment to my animals and a huge sense of guilt which as you can imagine doesn't help. I am devastated but I just have to do right by them. To be honest I am very angry at petsathome for letting them go as a pair, it's unfair on them and (I know it sounds silly) but It's unfair on me also to have to say goodbye, i know i'll be in tears when the time comes. I would certainly never go to petsathome again knowing how little knowledge or anything they have!

Totally understand, it would be so so hard for me to choose between any of mine. However, many of our recommended rescues do boar dating to find them a friend who will match.

Don't be too tough on yourself either - this is the nature of young boars going through the hormonal stages! Although I agree... pets at home, not so good!

I read above you don't want to get a female because you have bonded boars.
I too have bonded boars and a female. How I sorted it out was I have the bonded boys on a higher up level cage and underneath that cage is where my neutered boar and his wife live. The boys can't see or smell her as they are above. It works out fabulously.

It is very tough to make a decision like that and near impossible to choose between the boys, but would there be a chance that with a bit of lateral thinking and rearranging one of them could stay with a new, properly bonded partner? You will always carry the regret with you (I certainly do), but I also know from my own experience that every piggy you can hang onto is going to make it easier on you in the long term, especially as you are not rehoming them as a pair.

I read above you don't want to get a female because you have bonded boars.
I too have bonded boars and a female. How I sorted it out was I have the bonded boys on a higher up level cage and underneath that cage is where my neutered boar and his wife live. The boys can't see or smell her as they are above. It works out fabulously.
Oh really? I read somewhere having them in the same room can cause problems? Not only that I couldn't choose between them. I only wish I had the room for another cage so. I could keep them and get them a wife each. I can feel my eyes trying not to fill up.. What a plonka!

Oh really? I read somewhere having them in the same room can cause problems? Not only that I couldn't choose between them. I only wish I had the room for another cage so. I could keep them and get them a wife each. I can feel my eyes trying not to fill up.. What a plonka!
Yep it works! I'll show you my setup so you get a rough idea. =)

Sakurai (girl - shes in the green pigloo) and Ryou (boy) are at the bottom and my two bonded boars are at the top.
As long as the girl is beneath they won't be able to smell her. If she was on top theres a chance of her poop falling down to their cage but on the floor it won't. :)

Attachments

• DSC_0884.JPG
    DSC_0884.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 11
It would be lovely but I just couldn't choose, I love them both too much. I just hope a rescue can take them in, find them a friend and they can go to a loving home. I will miss them so much despite the fact I've not had them long but at least they would be happy. And I know going to a piggy rescue they would get a genuine piggy lover!

If they have not drawn blood could this not just be them hitting the dominance stage ?
What size accommodation do they have ?

They have approx 2x5 then a room each on another level which they both use.. I don't know if it's the hormonal stage, how would I know? I have been thinking about them all night and could I try a little longer but would that not be unfair and stressful for them? Surely they must be unhappy if this is going on all the time? I thought if they pounce at one another it means they are bound to have a proper fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back