• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Toast Squealing When Doing The Toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As mentioned in my other post, I'm having a lot of issues with the pigs health lately.

Every now and again I noticed Toast squealing sometimes, I then realised it was when she was doing the toilet, but not everytime. I've also noticed an increase in calcium when she's peeing and sometimes it feels more gritty.
I'm going to drop off a urine sample to the vets tomorrow morning on my way to work.
Is this a good indication as to whether or not she has stones? Or can that only be decided from an xray?

I'm very careful with their diet in regards to knowing what foods to give regularly or only on occasion.

She was given Cystophan a while back for cystitis as there was some blood in her pee and this seemed to help, so would it also be worth trying this again before doing anything more invasive?

Does she have blood in her pee now? Have you got the testing sticks as they can give a rough indication, I used them for Petal & they will tell you if blood is present even if it's invisible to the naked eye. If it's a UTI she will probably need antibiotics, Septrin or Marbocyl are the best for UTIs & adequate pain reluef such as Metacam x

An Xray is the only way to rule out stones. Xrays can be done with a whiff of gas - not a full GA, some vets can even do them concious - depends on the wriggly-ness of the piggy

Cystitis and URI's can be persistent. Getting the wee checked for blood is a good idea, this will indicate some issue and then go from there. Often vets will reach for an antibiotc for a week like septrin to see if it responds as a UTI, if not then go for the xray. Some metacam is helpful too with bladder issues as it reduces any inflammation. A definite vets visit. Sending both beans and Toast lots of healing vibes and love. Hugs to you x

Nothing really constructive to add, but just wanted to say sorry that the girls are having a hard time recently and I hope everyone feels better soon.
As you know Beans and Toast are 2 of our favorite forum piggies :hug:

Thanks everyone. She doesn't have blood in her pee at the moment, not that its showing up anyway. But it has been intermittent and she's had Cystophan a few times. I'm going to drop off a urine sample tomorrow as I've got Beans to take to the vet then go from there.

Your vet will be able to tell you if theres infection in her urine by a dipstick- if there is, they will likely treat for a UTI. If the pain when urinating remains, they may spin down another sample and check for crystals. If this is negative, they may want to xray/scan after that.

I know how much they worry us, but hopefully its just a UTI which is fairly easy to treat in most cases x

The vet is just off the phone there.
There was blood in her urine (not that it was visable though)

He's going to do another test with it to see if it's just an infection or if there are crystals.

I feel so sick with worry for the two of them, it's been one thing after another since I got them. I'm really hoping it's just a UTI

That's him just phoned back. Toast has mild-moderate crystals after testing her urine sample.

He's going to try her on Cystophan again and Furosemide and see how she goes.

I can't believe my pigs are both ill again :(

Thank you. It's never ending. I feel so bad for them both, I just hope they're both still happy, I'd the to think they were in any pain x

Toast has been given Cystophan (again) half a capsule daily and 0.2mls of Frusol twice daily for 2 weeks then I've to take her back to see how she's getting on. I'm really hoping this solves the problem for her instead of anything more invasive

I had to take Toast to the vets tonight as she was screaming in pain whilst doing the toilet. The vet had a good feel and as soon as he touched near her sides at the back she freaked out. She's also leaving thick sludge when peeing. She's been given a high dose of painkiller for tonight and booked in for an xray in the morning.

I have a horrible feeling it's stones. What else could it be. I feel sick thinking about it. Poor little thing she just has so many things going wrong at once :(

Poor little thing. My old Mrs Fudge (aka Fatface) had similar as an old lady and was sorted by a bladder flush and some antibiotics. Hope it's the same for our lovely Toastie x

Poor little thing. My old Mrs Fudge (aka Fatface) had similar as an old lady and was sorted by a bladder flush and some antibiotics. Hope it's the same for our lovely Toastie x
Is that different from an op to remove stones? I feel sick thinking about it, she's just being hit with everything right now. X

It could be sludge and no stones, my Little Rose was xrayed a couple of weeks ago and that's hat it showed. Her symptoms have died down now since being on Septrin but she will likely need a flush at some point.

What did you give Rose for her symptoms to go? And how invasive is a flush? Does the sludge turn into stones if left untreated or is it a different thing?

What did you give Rose for her symptoms to go? And how invasive is a flush? Does the sludge turn into stones if left untreated or is it a different thing?
My Sam (RIP) had to have a bladder flush, he had the same symptoms as toast.I feared it was a stone but luckily it wasn't and whilst he was x rayed under a GA, they also flushed his bladder.It really helped him be comfortable for a few months until he got an inoperable bladder stone xx

I have been told they can do. She has been on Septrin and Metacam. I am not sure exactly what the procedure involves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back