• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Towels as bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abnoba said:
Jillybean said:
I think I'll stick with good old newspapers, shredded paper & hay. You lot will be mentioning nappies next! ....

towels are handy though, especially if you have a sick piggy that you need to monitor...

I use towels for ill and convalescing piggys, farty artie who damaged his leg last week is at this moment snuggled up with 2 towels vet bed and his cuddle cup looks like lord muck to be honest

michellemuffin said:
Abnoba said:
Jillybean said:
I think I'll stick with good old newspapers, shredded paper & hay. You lot will be mentioning nappies next! ....

towels are handy though, especially if you have a sick piggy that you need to monitor...

I use towels for ill and convalescing piggys, farty artie who damaged his leg last week is at this moment snuggled up with 2 towels vet bed and his cuddle cup looks like lord muck to be honest

Oh bless! ;D

:) Why do people use towels and fleece when God invented VetBed that keeps them drier- still high maintenance but soooo much better than towels? Or is fleece another word for VetBed :-\

karenrgpr said:
:) Why do people use towels and fleece when God invented VetBed that keeps them drier- still high maintenance but soooo much better than towels? Or is fleece another word for VetBed :-\

I think the difference is cost if you have a huge cage. I use vetbed and I used a bit of fleece on steps etc, but I couldn't get on with it. Vet bed is brill, and you can buy it cheaper off ebay, but it is still a big initial cost.

Its like fleece but safer and the pee pee runs through so it stays dry, but it is expensive if you need loads. I save mine for illness and cold winter nights.

I use face flannels, hand towels, floor cloths - anything that is cheap in the £1 shop! I put them in thier beds and also around the room (dark corners) and they dry really quick when washed. All animals love to lay on towelling its comforting even for humans when its a hot summer night Distant memory now - save for the odd hot flush lol!) if you put a towel over your pillow you'd be surpirsed how cooling and comforting it is!

kayjay said:
karenrgpr said:

I think the difference is cost if you have a huge cage. I use vetbed and I used a bit of fleece on steps etc, but I couldn't get on with it. Vet bed is brill, and you can buy it cheaper off ebay, but it is still a big initial cost.
Thanks KJ. Most of my VetBed comes from Ebay :) They still prefer to lay in the hay and eat their bed though :)

I used hay in the cage (lots of it - for hiding in) and towels for floor time (flat has wooden floors) as well as an assortment of cuddle cups, piggy arm chairs, and old boxes with tea towels in

I think I'll do the same with my new chap but I might investigate the vet bed for illness

Thanks for the info

I love the vet bed pro fleece, it really is fantastic. I use it for all my piggies. Nice and warm too. :)

I am now using fleece on top of the towels, and this is working better than towels alone. I do have some vetbed (but not enough for all the cages) and buy more as and when I can afford it (I am on sickness benefits so can't afford to buy a lot of it all at once).

I change the cages every day and they are staying pretty dry. I also have indoor rabbits but have to use shavings for them, as they 'wee' so much, and also if I use fleece they just dig it up into a big ruck ?

Sadly I have stopped using the towels / fleece now. Even though I was changing the towels every day my guineas were getting dirty feet from standing on their 'poo'. I have now gone back to newspapers / soft hay.

I still have a use for the old towels though, as I have 2 small doggies who get very muddy in the fields when out on walkies!

Ive been using towels & fleece for my piggies mainly because they seemed to get irritated by too much wood shavings, they seem happy enough, I usually put newspaper on the bottom followed by the towel then more newspaper then the fleece and another sheet of newspaper and just a sprinkling of woodshavings.

Ive just started using carefresh in their bedding as well as hay they seem a lot happier !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back