• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Tries to Jump Out Arms

RoxyGuineaPigLover

New Born Pup
Reaction score
When I have Holly in a blanket or towel and are bringing her back to her cage, she’ll climb over anything and try to jump off the towel into her cage! Many times I have dropped her and felt guilty, and then felt mixed emotions because she’s the one who tried to get off! It is driving me crazy! Is this normal? Can I do something to prevent it? Thank you!

I agree with @Jaycey, a carrier or a cuddle cup would be a good idea.

I've had jumpers. My last two - Blitzen always made a nuisance of himself til you put him back, and if he made a nuisance of himself while you were close enough to the cage he'd make an attempt. Comet preferred to jump into hay, whether that be on the cage, or in the hay bale I was holding while standing next to the sofa he was sitting on.

It's standard behaviour with mostl of ours. It's almost like they are calculating the height and as soon as they think it's safe they wriggle and try jump. It's OK once you know its going to happen but I have a rule that the children have to use a carrying case when returning the piggies to there cage.

When I have Holly in a blanket or towel and are bringing her back to her cage, she’ll climb over anything and try to jump off the towel into her cage! Many times I have dropped her and felt guilty, and then felt mixed emotions because she’s the one who tried to get off! It is driving me crazy! Is this normal? Can I do something to prevent it? Thank you!

Hi!

Try to use a walk-in lidded cardboard box or tunnel where you can cover the door opening until the box is safely in the cage.
Always hold a wiggly piggy so it faces your body and not the cage, so if it jumps early, if will jump against your soft body first. But Ideally you avoid direct handling as much as possible until it has got used to being handled and held.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Back