• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Tropibed

Eriathwen

Adult Guinea Pig
I've been thinking about it, I really like the idea of it and the bottom of my garden is subsiding so could do with some extra soil :lol!: but I'm hesitant due to the coconut based stuff I use for my frogs being so dusty when dry, it's not something id want piggies sitting on if it's similar but I think id definitely give it a go at some point. Hoping someone comes along thats tried it!

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2017/18
I use vetbed in the main cages and Back to Nature in the hay boxes. Most of my waste goes into my compost heaps but sometimes they get too full and some has to go to landfill. Back to nature is paper based and can be thrown straight onto the garden as well, it's doing wonders breaking down my clay soil. Winter is the worst time for the bins to get full as they need warmth to rot down. This winter I am going to try digging a big trench across the garden and disposing of piggy waste that way.
I will have a look at Tropibed and see how the sums work out, it may be worth a try!

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
I've been thinking about it, I really like the idea of it and the bottom of my garden is subsiding so could do with some extra soil :lol!: but I'm hesitant due to the coconut based stuff I use for my frogs being so dusty when dry, it's not something id want piggies sitting on if it's similar but I think id definitely give it a go at some point. Hoping someone comes along thats tried it!
Me too, sounds good but looks very fine. Keep hoping someone tries it out before me :nod:

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
I use vetbed in the main cages and Back to Nature in the hay boxes. Most of my waste goes into my compost heaps but sometimes they get too full and some has to go to landfill. Back to nature is paper based and can be thrown straight onto the garden as well, it's doing wonders breaking down my clay soil. Winter is the worst time for the bins to get full as they need warmth to rot down. This winter I am going to try digging a big trench across the garden and disposing of piggy waste that way.
I will have a look at Tropibed and see how the sums work out, it may be worth a try!
I think for me back to nature works out too expensive as I need a lot now with my 8 piggies. Shame as we have clay soil that really needs help!

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2017/18
I found the 30ltr on vetuk for about £12 the price of a smaller bag in shops. It works well for me as they only wee in the corners of the trays and I can just replace the wet bits daily and do a complete change once a week. I only buy a bag every 6 - 8 weeks, they also sell the nuggets cheaper so I do a big shop and get free postage. I can see it would be expensive if you did whole cages with it.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
So it arrived today. Not had a chance to try it yet but so far so good. I've attached a picture.
Its lovely and soft, very much like dried peat. Smelt a little musty in the bag but outside its fine. No dust that I can see.

So far I like it. I'll let you know how the team like it in a few days when I clean them out....

Attachments