• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Unexpected new Guinea pig owner. (Australia)

Little trinquet

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
First I have never owned a guinea pig in my life, so I mean no disrespect to anyone for my lack of knowledge if this is all normal. and This is my first guinea pig, I was not exactly expecting to take home any that day more just looking around, looking into it all. and trying to look into the different breeds and types... and this one add there was for four Himalayan guinea pig babies. This was not the first little guys we had looked at but this was the first I was like overwhelmingly I CAN NOT IN GOOD CONCENCE LEAVE HER HERE! she is not sickly looking.... I don't think but there are many things that I could not over look and just leave her there half of me was like dont take her from her family but then when I held her, and looked at here... that was not going to happen.

So we get to the place that were supposed to have two old Female Himalayan guinea pigs, as if I was going to get some I wanted to at least get a pair as I had been looking into it all so I knew two is better then one.... now... the two girls two boys so four in Total. when we get there... the others had died apparently from the cold (they did not tell us this until we got there) that was the first like ummm moment like why not let us know this before we made the trip.

Anyways. I was like well we came all this way so I wanted to see her and were there home is. now I have been doing research so I know that outside is fine......
however, this was a shed about 1.5m/2m square... like if I stretched out my arms a little bigger then that. (I'm 5'11) and there was about at least 18-20 guinea pigs in there with sectioning off what looked like was for 4 different breeds. one with really long hairs up the front with 4 looked bigger and then 2 maybe 3 babies, then a bit behind that with 6-7 in that back left corner... then the bigger section with what looked like 8 bigger ones and 6 young. and the the final smallest bit with two big ones.

again please I am no expert but it just looked so small and crammed for that many little guinea pigs. some definitely were babies, but that was the first thing that made me a little hmmm i don't know about this.... the lady did say hey we do have other ones if your interested but they are only 4 weeks, and then she handed me my now Zelda female (I hope) very small little guinea pig... so I asked why is she so small? (she is very very very small compared to the other ones that were younger 4weeks). she is the runt so you can have her for $10 not $30.

I could/can feel her bones all over

she also I think some little missing tufts of hair (on her head seems to be the worst) but I'm not sure if that is just because of her breed.... becasue she is young... or what...

also little bumps on her... what have be like flee bits for a cat, so mites maybe? but again I have zero Idea....

she is very dirty like dandrift but on a guinea pig.... and it looks like she has maybe pee on her, and some of her hair is very matted (this is not curls) this is like dirt makeing little dreds in her very small amount of hair. I really want to give her a wash but at the same time I'm not sure if she is just to young to bath or if I even should considering she just got here... until I can build up a little trust (and it's day two and she is only just coming out for food) i don't want to handle her to much as she is very skittish and I also have no idea how to wash a guinea pig etc and if there is something wrong health wise I would not want to make it worse. and also don't want to bath her and for her to hate me and never trust me again....but then maybe starting to get her use to it could be a good thing sooner rather then later.... I don't know....

there also appears to be little cuts on her ears. like they are not a nice round shape.. if that makes sense.

she is eating sorta now from what I can tell... and her poo seems to be just little pellets. she does not really drink water I sit at the door to her little makeshift home and we chat and that seems to help and she is very skittish day one she would not stop squeaking she is better today so I really think it is just the move and the new surroundings. and chatting with her seems to help a bit.

I was not expecting to be like OK I now own a guinea pig. (we frantically had to run around and get her food beading...etc) so it is very make shift little home for her ATM dog pen with a tarp under it....
1f61e.png
I feel so bad for her it still seems to small. but for right now she is very small so I think.. think it should be OK until the weekend when I can have a chance to go shopping and spoil her a bit with something a bit bigger. but I'm also concerned about this so soon to her just moving in.

I'm on the market to get her a Little friend now asap! but again I'm worried she is very small so what if another guinea pig was to hurt her.

I need to work our something for a toy but I'm not really sure what would be suitable for the time being...

she is very very skittish (I'm pretty sure that is just a trust thing that I will have to build up), but day two and she will still run and hide when I come out. but she is starting to stick her head out of the make shift harbored box hiding spot I made her, in the morning when I come to give her food.
she will not take anything from may hand yet but she will stick her head out, so I will just keep at it hopefully build some trust.

I just could not just leave there and was only $10 haha well just for her... but now I am worried about her at the same time and how best to address a few things as she is so small and I have never owned a guinea pig let alone one that appears to need a spa day, and I don't have the money to take her to the vet right now to be sure she is OK.

just please some advice please.

She really does need to see a vet for thorough health check. We cannot diagnose what is wrong from just a description as we are not vets just ordinary members with piggies ourselves. She does need a friend but only when all her health problems have been sorted. The vet will also be able to say whether you have a little girl or not.

First I have never owned a guinea pig in my life, so I mean no disrespect to anyone for my lack of knowledge if this is all normal. and This is my first guinea pig, I was not exactly expecting to take home any that day more just looking around, looking into it all. and trying to look into the different breeds and types... and this one add there was for four Himalayan guinea pig babies. This was not the first little guys we had looked at but this was the first I was like overwhelmingly I CAN NOT IN GOOD CONCENCE LEAVE HER HERE! she is not sickly looking.... I don't think but there are many things that I could not over look and just leave her there half of me was like dont take her from her family but then when I held her, and looked at here... that was not going to happen.

So we get to the place that were supposed to have two old Female Himalayan guinea pigs, as if I was going to get some I wanted to at least get a pair as I had been looking into it all so I knew two is better then one.... now... the two girls two boys so four in Total. when we get there... the others had died apparently from the cold (they did not tell us this until we got there) that was the first like ummm moment like why not let us know this before we made the trip.

Anyways. I was like well we came all this way so I wanted to see her and were there home is. now I have been doing research so I know that outside is fine......
however, this was a shed about 1.5m/2m square... like if I stretched out my arms a little bigger then that. (I'm 5'11) and there was about at least 18-20 guinea pigs in there with sectioning off what looked like was for 4 different breeds. one with really long hairs up the front with 4 looked bigger and then 2 maybe 3 babies, then a bit behind that with 6-7 in that back left corner... then the bigger section with what looked like 8 bigger ones and 6 young. and the the final smallest bit with two big ones.

again please I am no expert but it just looked so small and crammed for that many little guinea pigs. some definitely were babies, but that was the first thing that made me a little hmmm i don't know about this.... the lady did say hey we do have other ones if your interested but they are only 4 weeks, and then she handed me my now Zelda female (I hope) very small little guinea pig... so I asked why is she so small? (she is very very very small compared to the other ones that were younger 4weeks). she is the runt so you can have her for $10 not $30.

I could/can feel her bones all over

she also I think some little missing tufts of hair (on her head seems to be the worst) but I'm not sure if that is just because of her breed.... becasue she is young... or what...

also little bumps on her... what have be like flee bits for a cat, so mites maybe? but again I have zero Idea....

she is very dirty like dandrift but on a guinea pig.... and it looks like she has maybe pee on her, and some of her hair is very matted (this is not curls) this is like dirt makeing little dreds in her very small amount of hair. I really want to give her a wash but at the same time I'm not sure if she is just to young to bath or if I even should considering she just got here... until I can build up a little trust (and it's day two and she is only just coming out for food) i don't want to handle her to much as she is very skittish and I also have no idea how to wash a guinea pig etc and if there is something wrong health wise I would not want to make it worse. and also don't want to bath her and for her to hate me and never trust me again....but then maybe starting to get her use to it could be a good thing sooner rather then later.... I don't know....

there also appears to be little cuts on her ears. like they are not a nice round shape.. if that makes sense.

she is eating sorta now from what I can tell... and her poo seems to be just little pellets. she does not really drink water I sit at the door to her little makeshift home and we chat and that seems to help and she is very skittish day one she would not stop squeaking she is better today so I really think it is just the move and the new surroundings. and chatting with her seems to help a bit.

I was not expecting to be like OK I now own a guinea pig. (we frantically had to run around and get her food beading...etc) so it is very make shift little home for her ATM dog pen with a tarp under it....
1f61e.png
I feel so bad for her it still seems to small. but for right now she is very small so I think.. think it should be OK until the weekend when I can have a chance to go shopping and spoil her a bit with something a bit bigger. but I'm also concerned about this so soon to her just moving in.

I'm on the market to get her a Little friend now asap! but again I'm worried she is very small so what if another guinea pig was to hurt her.

I need to work our something for a toy but I'm not really sure what would be suitable for the time being...

she is very very skittish (I'm pretty sure that is just a trust thing that I will have to build up), but day two and she will still run and hide when I come out. but she is starting to stick her head out of the make shift harbored box hiding spot I made her, in the morning when I come to give her food.
she will not take anything from may hand yet but she will stick her head out, so I will just keep at it hopefully build some trust.

I just could not just leave there and was only $10 haha well just for her... but now I am worried about her at the same time and how best to address a few things as she is so small and I have never owned a guinea pig let alone one that appears to need a spa day, and I don't have the money to take her to the vet right now to be sure she is OK.

just please some advice please.

Hi!

Sorry that you have stumbled on a neglect backyard breeder. :(

Please see a vet for a check. You may find this guide here helpful, which is listing the most common problems found in guinea pigs. Also double check the sexing and be aware that any female over 4 weeks living in a large group containing boars is likely to be pregnant again.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

This guide is part of our new owners guide collection that hopefully helps you to a good start as it addresses all the areas we get the most questions from new owners.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Since we have got members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can always tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and then down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and saves everybody time. Thank you!

If you add your state, I may be able to put you in contact with a good standard rescue that can help you on the ground with tips for recovery and - if you can get there - finding a suitable rescue companion of their choice.

Ok thanks, I will try to get her into see a vet asap then.
Like I said I know nothing , but I just when I seen her and how boney she was. I just could not leave her there. Every other guinea pig I had held or picked up etc. (not for the people whom I bought her from) Looked and felt nothing like her. She is so small and skinny so that was my first concern. Then the list just kept growing... I was like I can't just leave her here..I just can't.... But now I'm like... I need a little help/direction as this was something I was thinking about not well today I'm getting a Guinea pig

Hi!

Sorry that you have stumbled on a neglect backyard breeder. :(

Please see a vet for a check. You may find this guide here helpful, which is listing the most common problems found in guinea pigs. Also double check the sexing and be aware that any female over 4 weeks living in a large group containing boars is likely to be pregnant again.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

This guide is part of our new owners guide collection that hopefully helps you to a good start as it addresses all the areas we get the most questions from new owners.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Since we have got members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can always tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and then down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and saves everybody time. Thank you!

If you add your state, I may be able to put you in contact with a good standard rescue that can help you on the ground with tips for recovery and - if you can get there - finding a suitable rescue companion of their choice.

Thanks you so much. I did as you asked with my location.

but I'm in Australia- NSW - Newcastle.

I really really just want to be sure that she is ok health wise and what to do to put a bit of weight on her to start of with and I my frantic googling and looking into all this I came accross this forum + with good reviews. so I thought someone can/could help, hopefully as I am way out of my depth.

Thanks you so much. I did as you asked with my location.

but I'm in Australia- NSW - Newcastle.

I really really just want to be sure that she is ok health wise and what to do to put a bit of weight on her to start of with and I my frantic googling and looking into all this I came accross this forum + with good reviews. so I thought someone can/could help, hopefully as I am way out of my depth.

Thank you! We can help you with ongoing support during the recovery at home, but we cannot replace a vet check and - as we are mostly UK based with members from many other countries - we can help you with finding local knowledgeable support for specific brands and products that we may not know about to ensure that you really get all the help you need, considering that you are in for a rather steep learning curve!

Lynda from Cavy Central Guinea Pig Rescue in Sydney is your closest good standard guinea pig rescue. She is running the oldest guinea pig rescue in Australia, has all the experience with neglected/underweight piggies and babies you could ask for. She would be the best poised to help you with practical tips for locally available brands on how to build up your little girl once your vet has exlcuded any underlying problems/illness that could be the cause of your little baby being so underweight and that has caused the death of her siblings. Any new piggy that is not from a good standard rescue with mandatory quarantine and vet care should have a vet check anyway.
https://www.facebook.com/Cavy.Central.ACS.Sydney/ (you can mention that I have sent you to her; Lynda knows me!)

I would recommend to start syringe feeding your little girl straight away, as much as she will take in each sitting to help keep the guts going and prevent them from closing down if she is not eating well on her own. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control. I hope that it is not too late. You need to start asap.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
You are not quite clear about the age, so I am adding our baby hand rearing link as well: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...pport-feeding-orphans-and-tiny-babies.159468/

Poor thing shouldnt have even been given away at 4 weeks. Very irresponsible breeders :cen: Sounds like she may have been being picked on by he other piggies but can’t say for sure. Hopefully the info you have been given above is enough. If not keep asking the questions you need! Everyone’s always happy to help.

Thank you! We can help you with ongoing support during the recovery at home, but we cannot replace a vet check and - as we are mostly UK based with members from many other countries - we can help you with finding local knowledgeable support for specific brands and products that we may not know about to ensure that you really get all the help you need, considering that you are in for a rather steep learning curve!

Lynda from Cavy Central Guinea Pig Rescue in Sydney is your closest good standard guinea pig rescue. She is running the oldest guinea pig rescue in Australia, has all the experience with neglected/underweight piggies and babies you could ask for. She would be the best poised to help you with practical tips for locally available brands on how to build up your little girl once your vet has exlcuded any underlying problems/illness that could be the cause of your little baby being so underweight and that has caused the death of her siblings. Any new piggy that is not from a good standard rescue with mandatory quarantine and vet care should have a vet check anyway.
https://www.facebook.com/Cavy.Central.ACS.Sydney/ (you can mention that I have sent you to her; Lynda knows me!)

I would recommend to start syringe feeding your little girl straight away, as much as she will take in each sitting to help keep the guts going and prevent them from closing down if she is not eating well on her own. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control. I hope that it is not too late. You need to start asap.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight
You are not quite clear about the age, so I am adding our baby hand rearing link as well: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...pport-feeding-orphans-and-tiny-babies.159468/

Oh sorry about the age, I thought I said that my bad, they said Almost 6 weeks. But I will check it out. It's almost 11pm here, my boyfriend just got home from work so we are going to Kmart right away and hopefully they have some syringes. As I am worried that she has zero interses to drink water. I put it in a small soy saurce dish, but she has zero interest in it. We got hay as soon as we got her and pellets. The pellets she will not touched the hay if its not down low, but a little bit if I have it down (if that makes sense) but I'm pretty sure it's really not enough (for like a daily amount) My partner brought some carrots and Baby spinich home, The baby spinich she was very intorested! Most I have seen her be intorested in food in two days. no problems getting her to eat that. The carrot well she kinda tried... but then was disinterested, so I thought maybe if I cut it up really small, more bite size bits and she was way more of a go for that. So I have a small bowel of the hay (Animal dreeding medowie hay) close to her little entry. Next to that some cut up carrot and a some baby spinich. (I don't want her unhealthy but I do want her to at least get some water, and to at least eat something).

I will read everything you have given me so thank you again so so very much! also I will get in contact woth lynda once we get back. Hopefully I can get some syringes tonight and get some water into her as it's just hit spring here so warm days cold nights.

Oh sorry about the age, I thought I said that my bad, they said Almost 6 weeks. But I will check it out. It's almost 11pm here, my boyfriend just got home from work so we are going to Kmart right away and hopefully they have some syringes. As I am worried that she has zero interses to drink water. I put it in a small soy saurce dish, but she has zero interest in it. We got hay as soon as we got her and pellets. The pellets she will not touched the hay if its not down low, but a little bit if I have it down (if that makes sense) but I'm pretty sure it's really not enough (for like a daily amount) My partner brought some carrots and Baby spinich home, The baby spinich she was very intorested! Most I have seen her be intorested in food in two days. no problems getting her to eat that. The carrot well she kinda tried... but then was disinterested, so I thought maybe if I cut it up really small, more bite size bits and she was way more of a go for that. So I have a small bowel of the hay (Animal dreeding medowie hay) close to her little entry. Next to that some cut up carrot and a some baby spinich. (I don't want her unhealthy but I do want her to at least get some water, and to at least eat something).

I will read everything you have given me so thank you again so so very much! also I will get in contact woth lynda once we get back. Hopefully I can get some syringes tonight and get some water into her as it's just hit spring here so warm days cold nights.

You can get needle-less 1 ml syringes from any pharmacy for feeding mushed up pellets and water, but at that young age you need be VERY careful about syringing. Any little that goes down the wrong way will cause fatal pneumonia. She is past the weaning age, so please do not feed milk products unless Lynda thinks that colostrum (antibody laden first milk, which is now available in powder form) may be advised to help strengthen the immune system.

It is likely that their mother has died/was unable to feed and the breeder has not cared to support feed as it is very time intensive. If your baby is eating fresh veg, she won't be too badly dehydrated, but what she really needs is fibre, fibre, fibre to balance her guts and to get her to grow. Babies learn what is safe to eat and how to drink from their elders. This does not seem to have happened in your case.

Cucumber is good, lots of water. Maybe get some Timothy hay. My pigs aren’t keen on meadow hay, I just use that for bedding mostly. Has she got a hay in her sleeping area? Sounds like your doing what u can for the curcumstances.

Cucumber is good, lots of water. Maybe get some Timothy hay. My pigs aren’t keen on meadow hay, I just use that for bedding mostly. Has she got a hay in her sleeping area? Sounds like your doing what you can for the curcumstances.
Ok Coles in town open so I will get some cucumber. I will get timothy hay first thing tomorrow as everything (pet shops) will be closed this late.
No. I didn't put any down as bedding just an old jumper. I will do that as soon as I get home.

My Lara was unwanted by a friend so shs was given to me.
I have my Finn, a guinea pig so I was actively looking to get him a roommate prior to receiving Lara. I also have 6 hamsters I care for, so this friend knew I would give Lara a good home. My friend stated to me that I am the best candidate as Lara's pet parent.

Lara was a very skinny piggy who never had veggies or fruit when she came to me. My friend told me she didn't know guinea pigs were supposed to have fruits and veggies.
My Lara is fattened up now and happily eating. She has her own cage because I never planned on getting a girl piggy or having babies between Finn and Lara. I also haven't planned on putting Finn under the knife to fix him to house them together.

You have so much love for your pet so just provide her with whatever she needs.

Ok Coles in town open so I will get some cucumber. I will get timothy hay first thing tomorrow as everything (pet shops) will be closed this late.
No. I didn't put any down as bedding just an old jumper. I will do that as soon as I get home.
Don’t be stingy with the hay they need an endless supply of this all the time. You could try some alfalfa that’s good for putting weight on them for the first 4 months (discontinue after this time). And try wetting/washing and leaving wet the veggies if your concerned. They tend to drink more the more pellets they eat as these are dry but as long as it’s fresh veg they extract water from these. There’s also coriander, lettuce (no iceberg lettuce) kale and bell peppers, these are just a few examples.

Ok update, The mushed up pellets with water in a sringe is working! Took a bit, to work out a way to do it so she was not so squirmy, load noises, all distressed and trying to get away even with a blanket and for her to work out it was just food. But I kept talking to and patting her between it all and then I finally found a position (pretty much on my chest rugged up) and she clamed right down not so noisy and unhappy with the hole process. Was awkward to feed her like that by myself, so with some team work and me just talking with her and my partener working with the syringe we got somewhere. To the point that she was even making like cute little noises.... I don't know how to explain it... (it's not a noise I had hired from her) but it was no the same noises as befor. so I like to think it was a happy noise. But at least she is eating it! Even if it took some time to work out a position that she was comfortable with. It's morning now. Shr ate a far bit of the carrot (not alot) all the baby spinich and some hay. So my partner ia going to go to the pet shop and try the diffrent hay. See if she likes that any better. I will get him to grab some alfafa too
And then we will try the syringe feeding again.

That’s great! Well done. Just be careful when syringe feeding it sounds like the position you have her in is almost like she’s laid on her back (her back against your chest) if she’s laid like this food can go down the wrong way. If your partners there to help you could have her sat comfy on their lap and you feed her with small amounts. Try veggies in between and fresh herbs they always go down well :)

That’s great! Well done. Just be careful when syringe feeding it sounds like the position you have her in is almost like she’s laid on her back (her back against your chest) if she’s laid like this food can go down the wrong way. If your partners there to help you could have her sat comfy on their lap and you feed her with small amounts. Try veggies in between and fresh herbs they always go down well :)

She was my her tummy to my chest if that makes. It was the only position I could get her in on a table or anything else she was not having it but I didnt want to force it either as I was worried about what I was told about it goinf down the wrong way. The Small amounts we don't really have a choice with that haha it's a slow process but she does eat it. And it became way way way easier once she worked out it was just food. Once my partner gets home we will see how we go with the new hay see if she likes that any better (praying) and the alfafa too. I wil try in my lap hopefully that is cool with her cos the position is not exaxtly comfortable for me 😂

Make sure you point to the inside of the cheek, when you are syringe feed to minimise her choking. Only syringe water very, very carefully. You can get critical care, to keep up with vitamins & fibre. She should have alfalfa hay for the first 4 to 6 months. We have a food list, under forums. Coriander is the best herb. Although parsley can be given in small qualities. I would be careful about Kale & Spinach also some other greens as the are high in calcium, can cause gas, which can cause bloat. Spring greens are good.
You need to get in to the vet as it sounds as though she may have lice or mites. Don't worry you can't catch it. Introduce the piggies in a neutral area with places they can hide. Get a small new piggy so they are more as less the same size. Hides has to have 2 entrances so they don't trap each other. I assume you will keep her indoors with aircon on, so you don't cook the mite. Lol
Let us know how you get on at the vet. I reckon you'll make a great guinea pig slave. Good Luck.
We are here if you have any questions.

Back