• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Update after Peanuts passing.

Julie M

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
After Peanuts passing Solo suddenly took very ill. (He was previously checked at the vets the same day peanut passed on and had a little crackle in his throat so the vet didn't want to give anything incase it cleared up on its own.) Fast forward 2 days and He was sneezing and had a discharge from his nose. I went back to vets for antibiotics and received a 10 days supply. Then he stopped eating and drinking I was having to feed him round the clock when I could due to work. I disinfected the whole cage with f10. His poops got less and less. He was out on his vibration cushion before every feed. When he went back to bed he just stayed in his tunnel no interest in anything. He was still having the discharge and sneezing :( I was so so scared I was going to loose him too. I continued with the round the clock care, eventually the discharge stopped but still the occasional sneeze. He was still not eating much apart from the odd nibbles of hay when he was on my knees. So last Thursday I made the decision to try him with a friend I disinfected the whole cage and put up a divider in the cage then went to the rescue centre to adopt a single boy. (Humpty) The moment Solo saw humpty he raced to the divider and began to wheek like crazy. Then tucked into a pile of hay. The poops have gradually got more day by day thank goodness. So syringe feeding has now stopped. I hope I'm never in that position again as it was a catch 22 I didn't know what to do for the best as Solo could've passed his uri on but he was deteriorating due to being lonely. If you've read all this thanks I just needed to get it all off my chest. DSC_0204.JPGDSC_0200.JPG

And this is Humpty he originally came from the same place as Solo. He had sadly been in the rescue all that time. Numerous attempts to bond him with other boars had failed so he was just there waiting patiently. Strange thing is he's not once rumbled or chattered at solo. He sniffs him through the bars.DSC_0226.JPGDSC_0237.JPG

How heartwarming.. they are such sociable little beings and really do need company of their own kind. Will you eventually try them together?

Aw he must have been really missing Peanut. Pleased he's happy again. Piggies really do need a friend.

How heartwarming.. they are such sociable little beings and really do need company of their own kind. Will you eventually try them together?
Yes I plan on it I just need to wait a while till I know solo is pooping again normally.

Aw, what a lovely happy ending. This has made they day, and two happy piggies, win, win alround :yahoo:

Aww, poor gorgeous Solo (and you :hug:). He must have really been in love with Peanut after that short time bless him. Glad he's doing much better and has more company.
Hope him and Humpty get along well :) Another beautiful boy! :)
Can't wait for pics of them together x

Poor Solo, he's such a handsome boy, and poor you having to worry about him too after losing Peanut... glad you've found him a new friend, I hope they bond well!

That is a really tough time you’ve been through mate. You have looked after him so well I am so pleased that he is now okay and enjoying life with a new friend. Have a huge hug

Humpty looks very cute!

Piggies are such complicated little creatures! I’m glad he’s doing better and has a new friend!

Well done for finding him a friend so promptly. I’ve had a one girl that experienced acute pining and it was so heartbreaking to see her just give up and stop eating. The immediate difference once they have a piggie friend feels quite miraculous.

Sorry to hear you have had such a tough time. I've got everything crossed those two gorgeous boys get on well once the divider comes down.
Red's been a totally different piggy since he got his own friend a few weeks ago, it does seem to make a world of difference to them.

I'm sorry Solo's had such a tough time. It really made me smile to hear about his reaction to Humpty, and I hope Solo continues to go from strength to strength. Fingers crossed the eventual bonding goes well (if that's your plan), or that they continue to be happy neighbours!

Thanks all. I am hoping to bond them soon. But I feel like Humpty needs to get to know him better through the divider for a while as he was attacked by his previous cage mate and this has made humpty nervous of other piggies. This is why we think he never bonded at the rescue with anyone he attacked them before they attacked him. :no:But he seems OK with Solo, so all fingers crossed :))

Back