• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Update after Peanuts passing.

Well it's looking hopeful. Solo was at the divider beside Humpty and started washing his face. Humpty immediately sat up and copied Solo by washing his own face. :yahoo:

This has really lifted my spirits. Hoping that this positive attraction continues and they make each other very happy.

What a lovely story and how lucky Solo is to have such a caring owner.
I’m sure Humpty will settle with all the love he’ll be getting in his new home.
Both stunning boys

Well I tried intros today it went well at first. Following each other and brup brup burping. Then Humpty lunged at Solo and both of them ended up lunging at each other. I think Humptys problem is fear aggression. So we are back to separate play times. I may try again at a later date.

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that, it's such a shame.
Red suffers from fear aggression too. Brillo was his third attempt at a friend. I'm hoping Brillo doesn't go for top spot when he hits the dreaded teanage hormones anytime now! We could be on plan B too!

After Peanuts passing Solo suddenly took very ill. (He was previously checked at the vets the same day peanut passed on and had a little crackle in his throat so the vet didn't want to give anything incase it cleared up on its own.) Fast forward 2 days and He was sneezing and had a discharge from his nose. I went back to vets for antibiotics and received a 10 days supply. Then he stopped eating and drinking I was having to feed him round the clock when I could due to work. I disinfected the whole cage with f10. His poops got less and less. He was out on his vibration cushion before every feed. When he went back to bed he just stayed in his tunnel no interest in anything. He was still having the discharge and sneezing :( I was so so scared I was going to loose him too. I continued with the round the clock care, eventually the discharge stopped but still the occasional sneeze. He was still not eating much apart from the odd nibbles of hay when he was on my knees. So last Thursday I made the decision to try him with a friend I disinfected the whole cage and put up a divider in the cage then went to the rescue centre to adopt a single boy. (Humpty) The moment Solo saw humpty he raced to the divider and began to wheek like crazy. Then tucked into a pile of hay. The poops have gradually got more day by day thank goodness. So syringe feeding has now stopped. I hope I'm never in that position again as it was a catch 22 I didn't know what to do for the best as Solo could've passed his uri on but he was deteriorating due to being lonely. If you've read all this thanks I just needed to get it all off my chest. View attachment 108202View attachment 108203

There are times when you have waive quarantine and risk having to treat two guinea pigs; acute pining is one such situation. It can really lower the immune system and impact massively on a grieving guinea pig.

Glad that Solo has pulled through; mutual washing means that the two want to be friends when the chips are down. It is just the kind of gesture you want to see at the start of a bonding!
I would bond whenever you have a day or two time to watch them and if necessary leave them in the bonding pen.

I was in a similar situation in January when newly bereaved Llawen developed life threatening GI stasis on the day before freshly neutered Llelo was coming off his post-neutering safety wait... Sadly in Llawen's case it was much safer for her move back with her feuding sister and her old group in order to stabilise her as quickly as possible instead of trying to bond her with a new piggy. :(
Llelo was chosen by another sow a little further down my list of potential sow dates and has settled down very nicely, so it was not an outright disaster!

There are times when you have waive quarantine and risk having to treat two guinea pigs; acute pining is one such situation. It can really lower the immune system and impact massively on a grieving guinea pig.

Glad that Solo has pulled through; mutual washing means that the two want to be friends when the chips are down. It is just the kind of gesture you want to see at the start of a bonding!
I would bond whenever you have a day or two time to watch them and if necessary leave them in the bonding pen.

I was in a similar situation in January when newly bereaved Llawen developed life threatening GI stasis on the day before freshly neutered Llelo was coming off his post-neutering safety wait... Sadly in Llawen's case it was much safer for her move back with her feuding sister and her old group in order to stabilise her as quickly as possible instead of trying to bond her with a new piggy. :(
Llelo was chosen by another sow a little further down my list of potential sow dates and has settled down very nicely, so it was not an outright disaster!
Thanks. Its sometimes so hard to know if you're doing the right thing. Glad Llawen pulled through and got reunited with her old friends and Llelo got a wife pig too. It's scary when they pine.

Thanks. Its sometimes so hard to know if you're doing the right thing. Glad Llawen pulled through and got reunited with her old friends and Llelo got a wife pig too. It's scary when they pine.

Indeed - and you are already very jittery after your loss, too! :(

Back