• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Urine

Shaivy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I found that my guinea pig pee is leaving this white compound , I am observing it from 4-5 days and today it's little gritty too , what could it be? Help?

What veg and pellets are you feeding? Guinea pigs excrete excess calcium through their urine so whitish compound is normal.

If it is gritty however, you may be feeding too much calcium. Try reducing their calcium intake and see if that helps

I feed him cauliflower leaves , pellets ,hay and lots of grass and with that carrots and cucumber and capsicum and very less leaves of spinach like 4-5 per day, he loves spinach
I am scared if he had bladder stones or something
I can't check if he's crying while peeing
What if he does?

Please try not to worry. hes showing no signs at all of having bladder stones.

How many pellets are you feeding? May be try cutting back on them as well as the cauliflower leaves.

What veg and pellets are you feeding? Guinea pigs excrete excess calcium through their urine so whitish compound is normal.

If it is gritty however, you may be feeding too much calcium. Try reducing their calcium intake and see if that helps

Thankyou:), Okay will do so
Till then I'll keep a watch on him if he's not showing any pain while peeing
Is there a way to check that?

I found that my guinea pig pee is leaving this white compound , I am observing it from 4-5 days and today it's little gritty too , what could it be? Help?

Hi!

Please check your diet whether it is too high in calcium; this includes your water supply and your pellets (brand and amount!), and not just your veg. Hard or mineral rich water and pellets are often overlooked, but they can be ones that supply the most calcium to the diet.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

If the pee is gritty and remains gritty, have your piggies vet checked for signs of bladder stones/sludge or a beginning urinary tract infection, especially of you start seeing signs of discomfort when peeing or pooing.

Last edited:
Hey thanks
I'll make a note of that
Also , I can't tell if he's having discomfort while peeing or pooping
He's making s small voice (squeaky) but he is makes it many a times so I can't tell if he's specifically making it bcoz of the pee

Back