UVB advice please

Lel

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is well.
I have purchased the first uvb bulb recommended in the link I have attached.
Its not the kind that heats up, just a uvb bulb.

I'm looking for advice from people who use these lights.
Can you advise how long you use the light for each day?

I have also attached a pic, I'd appreciate it if you could comment to let me know if this set up is okay. The pigs obviously have plenty of hideys and a covered bedroom.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
(my pigs are indoors 24/7 and one guy is a bladder stone pig). IMG_20210123_151455.webp

https://www.bunnymeadow.co.uk/blog/2019/2/27/vitamin-d-deficiency-in-indoor-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs

I really wouldnt recommend usuing a UVB bulb, UVB light causes sunburn and skin cancer whether the bulb is hot or not- also cataracts in the eyes- and piggies have bald ears and no eyelids or sunglasses!
I never heard a case of indoor piggies suffering any deficiencies from a lack of UV light- in the wild they live hiding in the long grass or in burrows and are mostly active at dawn and dusk, they have not evolved to need high levels of UV. The tiny bit of vit D they need is amply supplied by a very few pellets.

I really wouldnt recommend usuing a UVB bulb, UVB light causes sunburn and skin cancer whether the bulb is hot or not- also cataracts in the eyes- and piggies have bald ears and no eyelids or sunglasses!
I never heard a case of indoor piggies suffering any deficiencies from a lack of UV light- in the wild they live hiding in the long grass or in burrows and are mostly active at dawn and dusk, they have not evolved to need high levels of UV. The tiny bit of vit D they need is amply supplied by a very few pellets.
Thank you so much for your response. I am now extremely confused as what you are saying is entirely the opposite of the studies I have read. I totally understand what you are saying of course but I have read so much into this subject and studies have shown that they can be beneficial.

Oh dear, I'm so torn 🤔

Are the studies you mention peer reviewed scientific research articles in veterinary journals though, or opinion pieces? I honestly never saw a proper veterinary research paper on this subject. And I have 8 fat happy piglets who never set foot outside in 3 years and are absolutely fine with no UV lights. Many of us here have indoor piggies with no extra lighting, who have lived or are still living long happy healthy lives!

Are the studies you mention peer reviewed scientific research articles in veterinary journals though, or opinion pieces? I honestly never saw a proper veterinary research paper on this subject. And I have 8 fat happy piglets who never set foot outside in 3 years and are absolutely fine with no UV lights. Many of us here have indoor piggies with no extra lighting, who have lived or are still living long happy healthy lives!
I have attached one of the articles and also read a couple of studies which I found from a Google search. My vet said a while ago that it could be worth a try. My main aim is for the uvb to help with calcium Absorption as Mr L has had two stone surgeries and I desperately don't want any more stones to develop.

I've also read accounts from people on this forum who do suggest ubv lamps.

I had exactly the same opinion as yourself before I read all of this info. It's all so confusing! I just want to do the right thing but it's a polarising subject, some say it's a must, others say it's dangerous. Xx

I cannot see how UV would really assist with stopping stones developing, I can see it could potentially aid vitamin D production and thus strengthen bones in a piggy with osteoporosis, but bladder stones are a whole different thing- down to calcium oxalate deposits, and often due to excess dietary calcium or just plain old genetic susceptibility. I dont think more UV=more vit D really equates to somehow sucking that much excess calcium out of blood or pee and into bones, there just isnt a real physiological mechanism that would explain that. For me, UV light would be mostly a definite no, due to the well documented harms of excess UV light on squishy-skinned animals like piggies and ourselves- with the possible exception of osteoporosis where all other avenues to repair and strengthen genetically weak bones have been tried- and even then, 5 or 10 mins a day is plenty to do the job. The article you attached is a blog, not scientific research- I would want to see peer reviewed scientific veterinary journal articles myself before doing anything that risky! But of course its up to you, all we can do here is share our expertise and experience, I'm sure we all want to do the best for our piggies.

I cannot see how UV would really assist with stopping stones developing, I can see it could potentially aid vitamin D production and thus strengthen bones in a piggy with osteoporosis, but bladder stones are a whole different thing- down to calcium oxalate deposits, and often due to excess dietary calcium or just plain old genetic susceptibility. I dont think more UV=more vit D really equates to somehow sucking that much excess calcium out of blood or pee and into bones, there just isnt a real physiological mechanism that would explain that. For me, UV light would be mostly a definite no, due to the well documented harms of excess UV light on squishy-skinned animals like piggies and ourselves- with the possible exception of osteoporosis where all other avenues to repair and strengthen genetically weak bones have been tried- and even then, 5 or 10 mins a day is plenty to do the job. The article you attached is a blog, not scientific research- I would want to see peer reviewed scientific veterinary journal articles myself before doing anything that risky! But of course its up to you, all we can do here is share our expertise and experience, I'm sure we all want to do the best for our piggies.
Evaluating the Clinical and Physiological Effects of Long Term Ultraviolet B Radiation on Guinea Pigs (Cavia porcellus)

Thats another one that I read from this forum.

I agree with you! Everything you say makes total sense.

I think I'm just desperately searching for a way to help Mr Lomu. I'm doing everything by the book, diet, exercise, hydration etc but terrified of more stones forming so I'm looking for anything I can do to help him.

I appreciate your input greatly! x

Could you perhaps point us to the threads where the use of a UVB lamp has been recommended by one of our expert team?

I have a snake that I use a UV bulb with but for piggies a nearby window should provide enough light. If you are going to use a bulb I would move it higher up so light is distributed more evenly but less intensely and make sure you use the lowest wattage bulb you can. I am no expert on the subject but as most uv bulbs provide a lower uv dose than just being outside I would not expect the side effects to be too severe as many people keep piggies outside or give them outside time in a run without any of these issues. I strongly believe that more research should be done as in the reptile hobby it is generally believed that all diurnal species benefit from additional UVB and the benefits to humans are well understood.

Also I keep mine on for 12 hours then off for 12 hours for snake but I would maybe go for less with piggies.

Reactions: Lel
Evaluating the Clinical and Physiological Effects of Long Term Ultraviolet B Radiation on Guinea Pigs (Cavia porcellus)

I think I'm just desperately searching for a way to help Mr Lomu. I'm doing everything by the book, diet, exercise, hydration etc but terrified of more stones forming so I'm looking for anything I can do to help him.

This experiment only uses 12 Guinea pigs (not a large enough sample for a meaningful result) and only tested the benefits over 6 months which is not long enough for any cancers caused by extended exposure or long term health implications to show up. It also used young healthy pigs that were less vulnerable and therefore less likely to have negative implications of UV light. I didn't read it all but the first paragraph flagged up this many issues. You would be better looking at larger studies looking at weather outside piggies are healthier than indoor piggies but then other factors like whether their diet is hay or grass based, cage size and temperature may also affect the results.

Just a very quick glance showed that the paper itself is 6 years old, and quotes research that is over 10 years old.
I personally stopped reading at this point, as guinea pig care has changed so much in a very short time, that such old research on such a small group (statistically insignificant and very, very short term) isn't really something I would personally base my own care decisions on.

I have a snake that I use a UV bulb with but for piggies a nearby window should provide enough light. If you are going to use a bulb I would move it higher up so light is distributed more evenly but less intensely and make sure you use the lowest wattage bulb you can. I am no expert on the subject but as most uv bulbs provide a lower uv dose than just being outside I would not expect the side effects to be too severe as many people keep piggies outside or give them outside time in a run without any of these issues. I strongly believe that more research should be done as in the reptile hobby it is generally believed that all diurnal species benefit from additional UVB and the benefits to humans are well understood.

Also I keep mine on for 12 hours then off for 12 hours for snake but I would maybe go for less with piggies.
Thanks Sweet Potato, yes I decided against it after PigglePuggle pointed out a few facts. I think I'm just desperately clutching at straws to come up with ideas on how to keep them both healthy.
It was only an idea and they had all of 3 mins under the lamp to take pics for original post asking for help.

I really appreciate your input xx thank you

Could you perhaps point us to the threads where the use of a UVB lamp has been recommended by one of our expert team?
Hi VickiA I can't as I just searched the forum for others who have tried it. I'm not sure who are experts in the subject x

Back