• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

vegetarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My daughter and I have become vegetarians ,we will still eat dairy but nothing basically with a face,hope it goes ok ,the rest of the family are going to continue to eat meat and fish which is fine I am quite happy to continue cooking for them :)
Anyone any tips or good recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Sallyx

Alisont is a vegan, and i'm sure michellemuffin is vegetarian too

Yes I'm vegan :) and was veggie for 26 years!

Will post links and recipes soon, just very busy at work today as got to work 9-9 today then off to the pub....

Vegetarian society websites a good start and any books by Rose Elliot whos a fab veggie cook - most librarys have her books.....

Will add more soon - feel free to ask me any questions you have?

Alison :)

yes I am vegetarian have been for years still cook meat for rest of family although I have my limitations, when we married 27 years ago I made him promise me i would never have to clean any meat or touch it and so far so good mind you the sod did chase me round the kitchen years ago with a chicken ugh I nearly threw up so hes never done it since,
theres loads of great recipes and Linda McCartneys food is great and to be honest i find most veggie food has more flavour in it then meat, my son loves his meat but thinks Linda McCartneys pies and sausage rolls are better, and vegtables are great you can use them in so many ways including meat type meals like lasagna pasta bake the veggie mince is great for shepherds pie and bologneise as well, good luck and enjoy,

I am a veggie too, just coming up to first anniversary of being one.

I havent found it hard at all not to eat meat, but will still eat free range eggs, veggie cheese etc. Theres such a lot of choice about now and most stores do label on the front of the food if its Vegetarian.

Just picked up the BBC Good food guide Vegetarian Christmas magazine. Its got some lovely recipies for the festive season, and I was positively drooling over them last night. ;D

Deb x

I'm doing it in stages...

I gave up red meat in January this year and will give up chicken in January next year
I found it hard as I love bacon etc but I keep reminding myself of why I am doing it (I am against animal suffering)
I'm going to carry on eating fish for a while but I'm going to try and educate myself on how they are farmed etc to assess the situation and decide from there.

I dont do cows dairy if I can help it but I do like eggs. I ALWAYS buy free range though.

I dont think I could be a full vegan though. There are lots of hidden things in foods and going out to dinner might be tricky

I want to become a vegetarian, but my parents don't agree. They say it's 'not healthy' and 'they have to take loads of vitamins because they don't eat enough of them' and 'why do you think vegetarians always look pale? because they're not healthy' It's sooo annoying. I could never give up eggs though (we have our own happy chickens :P).

Any tips on persuading them to let me become vegetarian? (couldn't manage vegan lol) and I don't think suggestions like 'refuse to eat anything on your plate' will help..

i'm afraid i'm not... don't eat that much meat but like bacon too much to give it up :D

Jane said:
I want to become a vegetarian, but my parents don't agree. They say it's 'not healthy' and 'they have to take loads of vitamins because they don't eat enough of them' and 'why do you think vegetarians always look pale? because they're not healthy' It's sooo annoying. I could never give up eggs though (we have our own happy chickens :P).

Any tips on persuading them to let me become vegetarian? (couldn't manage vegan lol) and I don't think suggestions like 'refuse to eat anything on your plate' will help..

I was a teenage vegetarian for a while. My Mum only agreed to let me if I ate the same as everyone else, minus the meat.
I agreed
I ended up with quite bad anaemia or somethingbecause I wasnt replacing the lost protein. That was years ago
These days there are so many Soya based substitues on the markets, and other proteins more readily available, that it should be much easier to have a balanced vegetarian diet.
As long as you do your reasearch and prove that it is safe and that you are serious about it, they might consider it
Good luck sweetheart

I'm a new vegetarian. I have been veggie since July after I went to a BBQ in the summer where there was loads of steak on offer. The field where we were (we were camping at the time) was near a field of cows. Someone made a comment about there being one less cow in the field that night - I stopped eating meat from that point onwards. Becoming veggie was something I had thought about for a while and that comment just made the decision for me. Haven't missed it at all.

I would like to become vegan but I am a very fussy eater at the best of times so am still doing some research into it. Would be a good way to get me to break my chocolate addiction though ;)

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years. Only discovered how delicious (honestly) soya milk is a few month ago though!

I'm always looking for easy low fat veggie recipes to try, so if anyone has any suggestions :)

I eat only free range eggs and have done since they first became known years ago I could'nt even eat an egg sandwich in a cafe because of not knowing if its free range,

Ive been vegetarian for 15 years :)

Jane, how old are you?
You could send off for one of these vege starter packs, which will hopefully help your parents understand that it wont leave you pale and ill!

http://www.peta.org.uk/feat/UKvegkit/

http://www.viva.org.uk/starterpacks/index.html

My Mum was very against it at first, but gave in in the end ;D You could always offer to help with cooking too, as one of my Mums main objections was having to cook two meals.

This is useful info on basic nutrition for veges:
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/basic-nutrition.html

Mandyx

I'm veggie too. Not quite vegan though. I like cheese too much ::) But I only buy organic in the hope that they treat the animals better.
I won't cook meat for my boys unless it is frozen and I can tip it onto a tray without having to touch it. I try not to think of the suffering of the animal in the box :'( I don't understand why people want to eat dead animals, besides being cruel it is disgusting ? A veggie/vegan diet is far healthier, and healthier for the whole planet too.

I'm veggie too but I hate cooking and find it difficult to know what to cook. Preparing vegetables does take longer but it is tastier. We had ratatouille tonight, just onion, pepper, courgette, mushrooms, tomatos - that's really easy and very tasty.

We use a lot of Quorn but I get fed up with that & am always looking for anything easy & quick to cook. A friend gave me a recipe for lentil shepherds pie & that's lovely.

I'd welcome any suggestions - it's difficult if you have people round who aren't normally veggie - trying to find something that looks good aswell as tastes nice.

Jillybean said:
I'm veggie too but I hate cooking and find it difficult to know what to cook. Preparing vegetables does take longer but it is tastier. We had ratatouille tonight, just onion, pepper, courgette, mushrooms, tomatos - that's really easy and very tasty.

We use a lot of Quorn but I get fed up with that & am always looking for anything easy & quick to cook. A friend gave me a recipe for lentil shepherds pie & that's lovely.

I'd welcome any suggestions - it's difficult if you have people round who aren't normally veggie - trying to find something that looks good aswell as tastes nice.

My number one find recently has been Real Eat Mince. Just soak it in a little hot stock first then use it in whatever recipe you like. It is loads yummier than quorn mince...and is vegan too for those who are interested.

Ive seen it in holland and barret, sainsburys and tescos (frozen section.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back