• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very Large Weirdly Coloured Nail?

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Something Aurora has had since I've got her is a strange, large oddly coloured nail.
I've got a photo here:

20171213_194617.jpg 20171213_194607.jpg

As you can see its clearly different from her other nails, it's a back foot so I know they are large and thick anyway,
The issue I'm having with this nail is it all looks and seems like dead toenail tissue but If I cut too far down it hurts her
I have no idea if it's a problem or if there's some way to treat it?
How do you suggest I clip this particular nail? Usually I look for the vein as she's got white nails and judge distance from there but I can't in this case?
:) :)

It looks like she might have damaged her toe at some point @TheLottiediarys. I've had a couple of pigs with random weird toenails. I try to just keep them a similar length to the others. If you do happen to overclip it and it bleeds you can put Vaseline on it or dip it in flour.

If you're not comfortable cutting it then the vet can do it for you next time you're there. They have the means to stop it bleeding on hand so they're willing to cut it shorter if needs be.

I agree with @Jaycey - the toe looks a bit odd, too. I think I’d ask the vet to deal with that one especially if it hurts when you cut it.

Thanks guys i was a little concerned because the nail itself seems dead,

The only thing I've seen that somewhat similar is when we rescued Bear, and his nails were overgrown and curved and the ends had a lot of dead nail under the curve, but that wasn't thick like hers is :/ :/

I've been trimming it gently since we got her early this year and we're getting it down but the way it's curved round is worrying me too incase it's deforms her toe itself and the foot but she walks fine :/

I'm wondering if she has injured the nail bed at some point. Linney had a thick, odd-looking nail grow back after she ripped she got a nail caught in the door of her cage and tore it off all the way down where it met her foot. It did grow back, but it was definitely thicker than the other nails due to the nail bed being damaged by the injury.

I'm wondering if she has injured the nail bed at some point. Linney had a thick, odd-looking nail grow back after she ripped she got a nail caught in the door of her cage and tore it off all the way down where it met her foot. It did grow back, but it was definitely thicker than the other nails due to the nail bed being damaged by the injury.

That sounds similar to Auroras toe, did you manage to manage it well for your pig? It didn't cause any problems?

Looks a lot like my Leonards middle toe on his back foot, he managed to take the whole nail off down to the nail bed and it has grown back really thick and uneven. He doesnt seem to like it being clipped so at the moment I'm keeping it short with an emery board so clippings are less frequent. He walks fine on it though, doesnt seem to be causing him any pain and the vet is happy with it :)

That sounds similar to Auroras toe, did you manage to manage it well for your pig? It didn't cause any problems?
It was harder to cut than the other nails because it was thicker and curled even at very short lengths, but otherwise it was fine and no problems.

some pictures of Darling's deformed nail . I can't tell you how she got this as whatever happened, happened before she was rescued.

I have uploaded 3 pictures panning put so you can get an idea of perspective, The bit I have just clipped off is visible in the middle picture . As you can see, Darling has her back turned on me - completely unimpressed at having to endure a nail trim .

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

some pictures of Darling's deformed nail . I can't tell you how she got this as whatever happened, happened before she was rescued.

I have uploaded 3 pictures panning put so you can get an idea of perspective, The bit I have just clipped off is visible in the middle picture . As you can see, Darling has her back turned on me - completely unimpressed at having to endure a nail trim .

View attachment 76793 View attachment 76794 View attachment 76795

I'm so glad you have posted this. Edward ripped his toenail out a few months ago right down to the quick. His nail is growing back now but it is looking exactly the same as Darlings. I was worried but your photos have reassured me

I'm so glad you have posted this. Edward ripped his toenail out a few months ago right down to the quick. His nail is growing back now but it is looking exactly the same as Darlings. I was worried but your photos have reassured me
... and she's absolutely fine with her nail . I've got some large clippers to trim it as normal sized ones aren't big enough :)

Paris has a strange thick nail on her hind foot. She's always had it and I too think its pretty much dead. It doesn't bother her when I trim it and her toe is fine. I just call it her funky nail.

Back