• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vetbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm just having a bit of a nosey on ebay as I'm thinking about getting some vetbed for my girls. Has anyone else bought from there? Links would be super! And what do people think of it?
Jodie xx

This guide is all about veterinary bedding and how to tell that you're getting the genuine article. It is aimed mainly for pet owners, but Vet bed can be used for baby, nursery, home furnishings and disabled or bed use!

Way back in the early 70s, (probably earlier) someone ( I wont say who but I now know who it is) invented an imitation sheepskin fleece to protect people from bed sores and nasty infections caused from being bedridden. It was known as MEDICAL FLEECE

This was used extensively in hospitals and is to this day. The idea was it didnt hold bugs, could be boiled for cleaning so soiling by the patients wasnt a problem. People with allergies were safe on it as it was hypo allergenic. So Medi fleece was invented. As happened with the brand name of sticky tape, "sellotape", it was soon was being made by various brand names like Medi pad, Hospital fleece, Pro pad, Dry bed etc etc.

Then a bright spark decided to sell it to a vet for injured animals who were recouperating from their operations and so VETERINARY BEDDING was born. It was soon apparent that this amazing stuff was handy for a bit more than just post op care for dogs. The Breeders screamed out for it. Kennels and catteries couldnt manage without it. It took the pet world by storm The same happened in the dog world with the trade names and suddenly we had.. Pro Fleece, Vet, Bed, Medi bed. Dry Bed.. erm me Bedding Box Vet Fleece.

The basic make up of vet bed is a tough latex lined backing and a 1.5 " thick imitation sheepskin top. The idea is any moisture runs straight through the fibres thus keeping the dog, cat, animal, or human, dry and comfortable.

Sounds really good..you have me looking now lol

Thanks!
Yep it's good stuff, have bought some in the past for my dogs, and recently got a piece for when my dog is going in to be spayed, for hygiene etc. We use it at work for the cats bedding too as it's really easy to wash and dries ever so quickly. Just curious what peoples thoughts are on it for piggies :)
I want them to have something snuggie to rest their head on :(|)

Hello!

I recently changed to vetbed, and although the initial set up costs are pricey (ie £20-30) it is worth it in the long run as you save so much from not buying large amount of sawdust and hay - I have saved £35 a month from not buying sawdust and hay in bulk.

I have a double hutch, outdoors in my shed, and I have found it works really well for myself and my boys.

Pros:

Helps reduce the risk of respirary infections, and is kind to feet!
Very easy to clean (whip it off, pop it in the wash and your done)
Keeps piggies warm
Is soft
Water/urine whicks away underneath

Cons:
Poop can become 'squished' in the fibers, brushing the vetbed is needed before washing
Can be initally pricey
Newspaper needs changing every day under the vetbed *
Can start to smell if not removed after a week

*You do need an absobant materiel under the vetbed (ie puppy training pads/inco. pads) or you can use (what i use) newspaper, i've had no experience with the pads however i find the newspaper works very well for myself. The vetbed stays dry where as the absortant materiel underneath becomes wet and is therefore easier to change as well as keeping the piggies dry!

Vetbed does need washing weekly, i have two boars and find the vetbed last 6-7 days, still dry ontop. Vetbed does need washing which you can pop in your washer either by itself or in an old pillow case tied, or you can handwash it.If you do wash it in the washer without it being in a washbag/ pillow case i'd suggest a quick rinse afters to rid any stray hairs :)

I bought from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/fireinvestigationdog/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

and I bought four of this size, which covered my double hutch and had a second spare set:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VET-BED-100cn...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item5ad434a622

One of my boars Artie on the vetbed:
takingthepludge.jpg

I also, would strongly recommend a section of your cage or hutch which is vetbed free, and use this area as their dining area/ toilet area. I have a hay tray and sawdust litter tray with newspaper underneath, this makes cleaning so much easier the hay/sawdust doesnt become tangled in the fibers and it just needs a quick brush before popping it in the wash
CafeArea.jpg

Hope this helps x

Last edited:
I just purchased the pink paw print :)

Is it easy to cut ?

Awwww cool! I love pink vetbed! Yerp just make sure you scissors arent blunt hehe! :))

I use towels under my vetbed and do a towel change and quick brush off mid week and full clean at the weekend. Founr the towels smell less than newspaper and dont sick to the cage. x I use a stiff bristle brush to get off the hay and poops . boys love it. i do wash it on 30 but talking to chrissy at gorgeous guineas and she said that it needs to be washed at 60 to get rid of fungal/bacteria every so often. x

you realise you lot are costing me a fortune with all these ideas and methods of bedding up piggies @) seriously though, I was looking at vet bed for the larger part of the hutch as well as fleece - I dont mind the washing it will create as I only do one load a week, an extra one wont hurt :)) and I wanted to keep dust to a minimum and if I can remove a sheet of something rather than shavings of something I thought it might be easier for them (and warmer).

I shall be getting some from the links, thanks for them (not pink though :)) )

Lol i dread to think how my paypal balance is :O I also bought the bed and chair from another thread..i really have to stop looking.

It looks very plush but i didnt like it, i shrunk it it didnt absorb anything ond one piggy kept eating it! i do like cage liner's better which is why i learnt to make them instead of payin £40 each it costs me about £13 per liner plus two hours but much better than vet bed

It looks very plush but i didnt like it, i shrunk it it didnt absorb anything ond one piggy kept eating it! i do like cage liner's better which is why i learnt to make them instead of payin £40 each it costs me about £13 per liner plus two hours but much better than vet bed

really? mine shrunk a little did you have an absorbent layer underneath? but you need an absorbent layer underneath as the vetbed draws it away friom the surface but then it needs to go somewhere to be asorbed. but lots of different things work the liners sound cool.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to have a good look now and possibly order some :D Want some pink for my ladies! hehe

Hello!

I recently changed to vetbed, and although the initial set up costs are pricey (ie £20-30) it is worth it in the long run as you save so much from not buying large amount of sawdust and hay - I have saved £35 a month from not buying sawdust and hay in bulk.

I have a double hutch, outdoors in my shed, and I have found it works really well for myself and my boys.

Pros:

Helps reduce the risk of respirary infections, and is kind to feet!
Very easy to clean (whip it off, pop it in the wash and your done)
Keeps piggies warm
Is soft
Water/urine whicks away underneath

Cons:
Poop can become 'squished' in the fibers, brushing the vetbed is needed before washing
Can be initally pricey
Newspaper needs changing every day under the vetbed *
Can start to smell if not removed after a week

*You do need an absobant materiel under the vetbed (ie puppy training pads/inco. pads) or you can use (what i use) newspaper, i've had no experience with the pads however i find the newspaper works very well for myself. The vetbed stays dry where as the absortant materiel underneath becomes wet and is therefore easier to change as well as keeping the piggies dry!

Vetbed does need washing weekly, i have two boars and find the vetbed last 6-7 days, still dry ontop. Vetbed does need washing which you can pop in your washer either by itself or in an old pillow case tied, or you can handwash it.If you do wash it in the washer without it being in a washbag/ pillow case i'd suggest a quick rinse afters to rid any stray hairs :)

I bought from this seller:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/fireinvestigationdog/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

and I bought four of this size, which covered my double hutch and had a second spare set:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VET-BED-100cn...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item5ad434a622

One of my boars Artie on the vetbed:
takingthepludge.jpg

I also, would strongly recommend a section of your cage or hutch which is vetbed free, and use this area as their dining area/ toilet area. I have a hay tray and sawdust litter tray with newspaper underneath, this makes cleaning so much easier the hay/sawdust doesnt become tangled in the fibers and it just needs a quick brush before popping it in the wash
CafeArea.jpg

Hope this helps x

Thanks, that was actually really helpful! I was looking at the vetbed from that seller actually. The pink is lovely. I think I'll need 4, double tier cage but I'll need extra for washing days yep? :)

really? mine shrunk a little did you have an absorbent layer underneath? but you need an absorbent layer underneath as the vetbed draws it away friom the surface but then it needs to go somewhere to be asorbed. but lots of different things work the liners sound cool.

The shrinking wouldnt of been so bad if i hadnt measured it to fit before i washed it lol the cagle liners are brilliant

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64935

I must admit I haven't looked back since changing to vet Bed, With fleece I had to change my cage every 3-4 days, now I can go 5-6 days without needing a full clean out. I do still do spot checks daily!

The hay tray I use for hay and have started using Megazorb, which I also love take the damp hay out and top it. :).

I heard the vet bed with the plastic back isn't as good with absorbing, which is why I got grey and the green backing. I got my vet Bed cut to size from this sellar:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jlshootingstar/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Cost me £40 inc postage for 6 pieces (size CC 3x2). I love Vet Bed.

I must admit I haven't looked back since changing to vet Bed, With fleece I had to change my cage every 3-4 days, now I can go 5-6 days without needing a full clean out. I do still do spot checks daily!

The hay tray I use for hay and have started using Megazorb, which I also love take the damp hay out and top it. :).

I heard the vet bed with the plastic back isn't as good with absorbing, which is why I got grey and the green backing. I got my vet Bed cut to size from this sellar:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jlshootingstar/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Cost me £40 inc postage for 6 pieces (size CC 3x2). I love Vet Bed.

I used this seller and had the pink with white paws for my lttle sow. He did me a great deal, 10 ft x 6ft for just over £20.00 :(|) He even cut it into two pieces for me and it was here within 3 days.
My little piggy loves it, it's about 1" deep, she just sinks into it :(|)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back