• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Waste Bedding Disposal

digitalbricklayer

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've recently gotten a couple of extra guineas (Bodie and Doyle) and the amount of sawdust and waste hay has gone up a lot. To the point that the waste bin is getting rather full when the fortnightly bin collection happens.

What are the best ways of disposing of the waste bedding material? I don't feel comfortable using the waste bin for the waste bedding, what are my options?

I would contact your local council for their options for disposal. In my area we have a green bag garden waste collection which will accept small animal waste. Also you can buy as a local resident large compost bins at a reduced rate from the local city farms.

I have to take mine to the local tip. I have a *full* 80 ltr bin bag every week of bedding and hay from my three girls. Plus another bag every two weeks from their down-stairs weekend accommodation.
My council do not accept pet waste in the garden waste bin :-(
The guys at our local tip no longer check the contents of our black bags as they know us so well!

I take mine down the tip too, I'm also going to get a compost bin this year to help reduce some waste, a lot of councils offer compost equipment at a discount. I'm thinking of trying tropibed too, saw it in the last Guinea pig magazine and it means I can just throw it down the bottom of the garden when used.

It is difficult as I dont drive and our local council wont have it in the garden waste bins.

I end up with a lot of pet waste in the rubbish ... The neigh ours let me put some in their (almost empty) bins which is very good of them.

I’m in a simalar situation, I went from one hutch to two when I got two more piggies. The waste sundenly became unmanageable in the twice weekly collection from council.
So we did a few trips to the tip but it’s 40 min round trip, so after reading lots of advice here, I’ve switch to fleece in some areas.
It really has made a BIG difference.
I’m still playing around with different sets up, but I would say fleece in main areas is worth a try.

We have 3. they are hay but also sleep and poop/wee in it. So when we Do a complete clean i can fill a massive bin bag. I'm also at war with the bin men cos they take it out my bin. Empty me bin then put bag back in empty bin.
Why cos they job worth guys. Does my head in honest. :mal:

i have 27 piggies at present ! i have 3 hutches,and 4 cages.ive started using fleece liners in the indoor cages,now weather is better for drying.i use mainly megazorb and aubichick/aubiose bedding.both compost quickly.:)

27 WOW, that explains how many bin bag you fill.
I use Aubiose also, how quick would you say it composts, if that’s not a silly question. My partner seems to think it would take too long.

Back