• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

We are traveling for three hours

Iluvmyguineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Is it ok to leave my guinea pig Colt alone for three hours? Will he get bored or lonely? He is two months old so I don’t know if I should leave him alone. We are going to drive but it will take three hours to get there. We just got him and he hides alot. He is also very jumpy if he is left alone for a long time. And also he doesn’t like his carrier. And I’m afraid if I get him out in the car he is going to jump off my lap and hurt himself! I don’t want that to happen including when he is young. What should I do to keep him busy?

Lady Kelly

Staff member
I would leave him be for the time you are travelling. Maybe just occasionally to open the carrier to pop some cucumber in to keep him hydrated throughout the journey. I would also give him a few hours when you arrive to settle into his cage again before having cuddles

Piggiepops

Junior Guinea Pig
I put my pigs in the foot area of the passenger side where it’s a little darker with some hay etc from their hutch into their travelling cage and mine always seem to nap if they ever need a car journey. He will be used to the trip after a little while so I wouldn’t worry, just take some yummy snacks for the road trip!

Iluvmyguineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
I put my pigs in the foot area of the passenger side where it’s a little darker with some hay etc from their hutch into their travelling cage and mine always seem to nap if they ever need a car journey. He will be used to the trip after a little while so I wouldn’t worry, just take some yummy snacks for the road trip!
Thank you for the info! How is your guinea pig? Has he or she passed yet?

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
We just travelled today with my two pigs for nearly 3 hours. I put them in their travel cage with lots of hay that they can eat and burrorw under if they wish. I also cover the top of the cage with a fleece so they feel more secure.

We also have the air con on as it was quite warm today

Bill & Ted

Adult Guinea Pig
Hello
We are travelling up to see Simon Maddox in Northampton next Sunday from West Cornwall, (dental appointment for Ted Monday morning) We are praying the weather won't be too hot and take too long. Ted and his companion Bill will travel in indoor cage with cotton sheet over them for shading, they are staying overnight in hotel which states it takes pets, so fingers crossed. Feeling rather worried, hoping we don't stress them both out too much, but they have never been parted, so that would probably stress them even more, and they might not reunite once parted?

Motorway most of the way so hopefully quite smooth and plenty of treats

Jane X

AimeeOx

Junior Guinea Pig
If he doesn't like his carrier could he travel (strapped in) in his cage, covered, or is that frowned upon? I've always thought carriers only, but mine would be far happier in a small indoor cage..

Claire W

Forum Donator 2017/18
I travelled for nearly 3 hours on Sunday with my two piggies. I put them in the small hospital cage filled with lots of hay that they could eat and borrow into. I also placed a fleece over the top for added security. We stopped of for breaks too where I offered them water from their water bottle. They coped very well and spent most of the journey asleep :)

Bill & Ted

Adult Guinea Pig
Hello

Yes, I'm putting mine in indoor cage, strapped down, with lots of hay and juicy veg. I think cat carrier is fine for short journeys, but would be too small for long journeys. Better in a cage, with air on on.

Jane X