• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight loss

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Once again I’m really sorry to keep posting on here.

Last week I started weighing my guinea pig Jaffa more often as he was on his second week of zithromax & I wanted to keep an eye on his weight.

Monday he weighed in at 1.281kg113699
I then weighed him again Thursday at the same time. ) He weighed in at 1.221kg.
I was sure he lost 60g, I’m not the best at maths but in a few days surely that’s not normal?

I’ve booked him in for a health check to get his weight looked at and to discuss with a vet nurse to see if there’s something wrong.

He’s fine in himself, pooping and peeing normally & is eating well too.

Am I worrying for no reason?

Eviolus-

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Last week I started weighing my guinea pig Jaffa more often as he was on his second week of zithromax & I wanted to keep an eye on his weight.

Monday he weighed in at 1.281kgView attachment 113699
View attachment 113700
I was sure he lost 60g, I’m not the best at maths but in a few days surely that’s not normal?

I’ve booked him in for a health check to get his weight looked at and to discuss with a vet nurse to see if there’s something wrong.

No it is concerning, keep an eye on his drinking too, has there been any alterations in his diet/cage?

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No it is concerning, keep an eye on his drinking too, has there been any alterations in his diet/cage?
He’s drinking the same amount as usual. He did get a new cage last weekend, not sure if that makes a difference. He’s also been eating the same too.

Eviolus-

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He’s drinking the same amount as usual. He did get a new cage last weekend, not sure if that makes a difference. He’s also been eating the same too.
Usually if it's the cage making them lose weight it's more obvious but it could add to it, what was he on zithromax for?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would imagine it is a side effect of the anti biotic, how long has he been on the Zithromax for and how long is left of the course? Is he eating okay?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score

Monday he weighed in at 1.281kgView attachment 113699
View attachment 113700

No, 60g is a notable weight loss where you need to go on alter. Please be aware that over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control by eye and also that the poos reflect the food intake from 1-2 days before.

I would recommend to start offering top-up syringe feed but at this stage not yet to force it. Your boy is a very good weight so the weight loss is in no way dangerous. Are you giving the zithromax once daily or twice daily? If you are giving it once, I would recommend to split it up and give half the dose 12 hours apart.
That did make the difference between not eating at all and requiring only top-up feed for 6 year old Hafren, who required two rounds of zithromax in order to save her eye; I made the change with the approval of the treating vet.

Plenty of fibreplex and poo soup also helped me getting her through it as an eye removal op at that age is very much on the risky side. She did get through it and passed away from old age with both eyes intact a year later.

If weight loss continues or your boy is losing his appetite completely, you can always contact your treating vet and ask to speak to them. But your boy has thankfully a nice bolster of weight; if it is overweight, then it has the tendency to come off more quickly and dramatically, though.
All the best!

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would imagine it is a side effect of the anti biotic, how long has he been on the Zithromax for and how long is left of the course? Is he eating okay?
He’s finished the antibiotics now. I stopped giving them on Friday, as recommended by the vet. He had a two week course and throughout the course gained weight. Yes he’s eating fine.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, I would keep an eye on the weight and see whether it stabilises again or not. In the second case, please contact your vet again.
Follow the tips and recommendations in our weight management guide.

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right now, I would keep an eye on the weight and see whether it stabilises again or not. In the second case, please contact your vet again.
Follow the tips and recommendations in our weight management guide.
Thanks I will do. I’ve been giving him more of his favourite veggies to get him to eat more & a couple of pea flakes here and there. He loves the taste of oxbow critical care so I’m sure he’ll enjoy being syringe fed.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I will do. I’ve been giving him more of his favourite veggies to get him to eat more & a couple of pea flakes here and there. He loves the taste of oxbow critical care so I’m sure he’ll enjoy being syringe fed.
Don't overdo the veg, though, as it doesn't replace the fibre and silica of hay (which is as instrumental in grinding down the back teeth as keeping the guts balanced). It can lead to overfermentation and digestive problems in the longer term.
It is much better having recovery formula at home for this case or in an emergency, feed mushed up pellets until your formula arrives.
First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m going to start and weigh him twice a day.

Just popped him on the scales and he’s gone down to 1.214g. What do I do?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m going to start and weigh him twice a day.

Just popped him on the scales and he’s gone down to 1.214g. What do I do?
Have you read about the weight band issues in our weight guide that come into play the more often you weigh?

Otherwise make a vet appointment for regular opening hours and start top up syringe feeding with mushed up pellets and a cut-off syringe tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to allow the fibre to pass through.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

PLEASE take the time to read the various links I have given you. There is a LOT of very helpful, practical and precise 'how to' advice in there that cannot be packed into just two sentences but that will guide you do what is needed correctly.

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update-

Anxiety got the better of me. He’s got an appointment with a nurse to be weighed to check for sure if he’s lost weight. Anything to mention?

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. Just got back from the vets. The nurse wasn't concerned about his weight due to the fact he is still 1.2kg. I'm not happy, she didn't take into consideration the last digits in his weight. She checked his teeth and also listened to his stomach and said he was perfectly fine. However this wasn't the vet that I normally get the guinea pigs in to see as the preferred vet is currently on holiday. I'll monitor his weight daily and weigh twice a day.

Another issue I have is that when Jaffa was sat on the vet table I saw a tiny piece of hay in the corner of his eye (tearduct), i tried removing it gently with my thumb. Now that I'm home I've had another look and its gone?!

Could he have blinked and it fell out? Or could it have gotten lodged into his eye.
I was going to ask the nurse to remove it however I got distracted as she was talking to me.