• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight loss

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Just take a deep breath and PLEASE do not weigh more than once daily or preferably ask another person to do the daily weighing for you.
You are not changing anything by weighing more often; all you achieve is making your anxiety rocket sky high from all the stessing out.

The nurse is right in that the weight loss is nowhere near the danger zone and that there is nothing obvious worn with him. If the weight loss continues over the next few days, please book a vet appointment.

Follow the tips in my previous posts.

It is likely that the piece of hay has been either washed out (which generally happens with very small bits) or has disappeared under a lid if it is a bit bigger. As long as it is soft, it should not cause any problems in the second case. ;)

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d say the piece of hay was smaller than a grain of rice. I saw the full size of it before he jumped straight back into his carrier at the vets. I’m going to weigh him once a day at the same time just to keep a check on him. He’s fine in himself, all be it eating a little less than normal but he’s eating loads of hay & drinking well.

Thank you for your help. @Wiebke

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
On my previous post I mentioned that my guinea pig Jaffa had lost weight 60g to be precise. Since then I have been weighing him daily at the same time. His weight stabilised however he started dropping weight.

He went from 1.281kg to 1.221kg. I weighed him this morning and he weighed 1105kg. I weighed him differently however this morning as I didn’t place him inside a box like I’d normally do. He weighed 1221kg when placed inside the box despite the fact I set the scales to zero after placing the box on. Without the box he weighed less.

Jaffa seems to be eating lots of hay and munching on his carrot house a lot, however he isn’t keen on vegetables at the moment. I’ve offered him some of his favourite veggies, some of which he has ate a small amount of other than that he seems more interested in hay. He’s so out of character. He popcorns and comes running for food but just isn’t interested in food that’s not hay.

I’ll no doubt book him in with the preferred vet for next week and see what she says. I’m worried about this weight loss though, it’s not consistent, he either maintains or drops.

He has been to see a vet nurse and she said he weighed 1.2kg which is the same as his previous weight when he last got checked out. Is it my scales?

I’ve been giving him some mushed pellets via a syringe and fine grind critical care mixed with all natural baby food (veggie purée) to try and make it more pallatable.

I am worried but I’m not making myself ill, I just want him to gain a few grams.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to weigh exactly the same each time in the same box with the scales zero’d. Daily weighing is key to monitor any loss at this stage.
Please weigh daily at same time in same box and record results.
I think you need to get him in to see your vet for a check over

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You need to weigh exactly the same each time in the same box with the scales zero’d. Daily weighing is key to monitor any loss at this stage.
Please weigh daily at same time in same box and record results.
I think you need to get him in to see your vet for a check over
I try and do that. I always set the scales to zero aswell. I’m sure it’s not my scales, I weigh my phone (an inanimate object) before weighing him to see if my scales are playing up and my phone always weighs the same. I keep Jaffa as still as possible which he’s very good at and he weighs different with and without the box. I’ve always used the same plastic storage box to weigh him in so do I go off that?

They’re just digital kitchen scales so maybe when he’s sat on them his body is too big to sit fully on them to get a weight.

I defo will get him in with a vet.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I try and do that. I always set the scales to zero aswell. I’m sure it’s not my scales, I weigh my phone (an inanimate object) before weighing him to see if my scales are playing up and my phone always weighs the same. I keep Jaffa as still as possible which he’s very good at and he weighs different with and without the box. I’ve always used the same plastic storage box to weigh him in so do I go off that?

They’re just digital kitchen scales so maybe when he’s sat on them his body is too big to sit fully on them to get a weight.

I defo will get him in with a vet.
I agree with @sport_billy.

Could you find a bowl with a little foot that fits on the scales; this may give you a more consistent reading.
Please also be aware that if you weigh frequently, the weight is going up and down quite a bit depending on how full the tummy is or whether Jaffa has a full or empty bladder.

PS: Can you please keep any questions and updates to this one support thread? We answer lots of different threads in a day, never mind over the course of several days on top of our regular job, our own piggies and family life as we all moderatefor free in our free time.
Being able to refer back helps us refresh our memories and also keeps our specially monitored sections slimmer; it also ensures that you get better answers for your own specific situations and that we do not repeat the same advice over and over or give you conflicting advice if we forget or misremember the background.
You can set your own alert notifications via the 'watch' button at the start of your support thread. Thank you!

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with @sport_billy.

Could you find a bowl with a little foot that fits on the scales; this may give you a more consistent reading.
Please also be aware that if you weigh frequently, the weight is going up and down quite a bit depending on how full the tummy is or whether Jaffa has a full or empty bladder.

PS: Can you please keep any questions and updates to this one support thread? We answer lots of different threads in a day, never mind over the course of several days on top of our regular job, our own piggies and family life as we all moderatefor free in our free time.
Being able to refer back helps us refresh our memories and also keeps our specially monitored sections slimmer; it also ensures that you get better answers for your own specific situations and that we do not repeat the same advice over and over or give you conflicting advice if we forget or misremember the background.
You can set your own alert notifications via the 'watch' button at the start of your support thread. Thank you!
Hi.

as mentioned before I weigh the same time everyday just with Jaffa. My other piggy fudge is gaining weight.

I thought I had kept the post in the same link. My apologies .

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi again. Hoping this post is linked with my original post.

I weighed my piggy Jaffa this morning, same time as I did yesterday. In the box and without, he weighed the same.

He’s gained weight! I’m so happy. He’s gone up to 1237g.

CCA25E11-54A5-48C0-A55A-12199BCD649A.jpeg

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Aw, that’s good news! They are a worry aren’t they x

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi again. Hoping this post is linked with my original post.

I weighed my piggy Jaffa this morning, same time as I did yesterday. In the box and without, he weighed the same.

He’s gained weight! I’m so happy. He’s gone up to 1237g.

View attachment 114104
@Wiebke - just in case you haven't seen this :) Thank you so much for all your help and reassurance.

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just dropping by to say thank you to everyone who commented when I was asking for advice & needed reassurance when Jaffa was losing weight.

I'm pleased to say he’s managed to maintained his weight all week now and hasn’t lost any more which I am over the moon about.
He’s eating normally now and is back to his lively cheeky self.

I’ll start and weigh weekly again instead of daily weighing.

My other piggy fudge is also doing well & seems to be gaining weight.
6A22C7D3-EE64-4891-8313-4094B0D6ABCF.jpeg2FE0DD1D-2B17-4A4F-ADF1-907543ACDF5B.jpegFDFC27A5-ECC7-4189-B00C-29988EF10BC6.jpeg5CBAC545-E49F-457C-87DD-89E5B8B5505D.jpeg2017F05D-19D8-4946-A941-FF5AC258BE62.jpeg
Jaffa sends his love to everyone who was thinking of him ❤.

JandfpiggiesUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Didn’t think I’d be posting anymore after my last post.

Jaffa’s crackly breathing has come back, he sounds clicky. I only notice this when he’s in his hay tray or after he’s finished eating/ chewing something.

He’s perfect in himself, as i mentioned earlier he’s improved so much over the last two weeks, he’s a whole new piggy.

Any ideas what the loud breathing could be from?