Weird Behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianna Lupton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a new piggy who I adopted because he was going to be put to sleep. He has a bad head tilt from an ear infection when he was born. He has not yet warmed up to me yet. He doesn't like to be held or touched. He seems depressed and doesn't like to leave his igloo. Lately in the middle of the night he comes out of the igloo and starts wheaking and squeaking really loud. I thought it meant he was hungry but he had food and hay in his cage. I'm not sure if something is wrong with him or not. Him and my other piggy share a c&c cage with a divider in between them. They do not get along too well.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has he been checked by a vet that he's definitely okay?
If so I imagine it's just because he's still settling in and a bit unsure of his surroundings. Piggies can take weeks/months and sometimes closer to a year to completely trust you and feel comfortable.
Do your piggies fight through the bars? Could the other piggy maybe be stressing him?

Brianna Lupton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
He's been checked out and he's fine now. Him and my other piggy stick their noses through the bars and lick eachother. They both seem to like looking at each other through the bars.

Brianna Lupton

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yep. They get floor time usually every day or every other day. I hope he is still adjusting. It's just so strange because my other piggy adjusted pretty quickly. This one just seems so afraid of everything

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some are very outgoing but some are very shy and take more time..As long as he has little hidey houses to feel secure I'm sure he'll come round in his own time :nod:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. They get floor time usually every day or every other day. I hope he is still adjusting. It's just so strange because my other piggy adjusted pretty quickly. This one just seems so afraid of everything
How tame piggies are, depends on their background. Guinea pigs that are running their prey animal instincts and that are not used to be pets will take a lot longer.

You may find the tips in these links here helpful. We have got lots of information at the top of our various Care sections, but you are always welcome to ask!
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Even though your baors are only able to interact through the bars, they are building up a relationship. Here is some information that can help you understand what is going on and whether it would be worth trying to bond them at some point once your newbie has settled in more:
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Status
Not open for further replies.