• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird Noise.. Could It Be A Cold?

Annie Robbins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Happy October!

So recently I have recovered from a head cold, and I was told a long time ago that guinea pigs can get colds from us. Is that true?

The reason I ask is because one of my pigs has started making a weird noise when she eats and she is sneezing twice a day. This started after I finished my head cold. I listened to her breathing and everything sounds clear and normal. When she eats her food, she coughs after it and when she eats hay, there is a short grunting noise with every bite.

Could she have a cold? or what else do you think is going on?

If it's only happening when she's eating, it sounds like it could be a dental problem. I'd definitely take her to the vet to have her teeth looked at ASAP, especially because guinea pigs are notorious for hiding their ailments and sometimes such subtle symptoms could be the only indicators of a serious problem. It's important for piggies to be able to eat without discomfort. I hope your girl feels better soon and that it's something easily remedied! Best luck :)

They don't get colds. I'd pop her along to the vet so they can give her a checkup. It's worth it as sniffles and sneezes could be a sign of an infection in their airways.

Back