• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird noises

Percypatch

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
In the past few hours I have noticed my piggie, Peanut (1year old ), is making very weird noises. They seem to be very low and almost sound like a mix between a dog barking and a pigeon. I have never heard this sound before at all and tried looking all over the internet for a guinea pig that sounds like this but I can’t find anything. Peanut is eating normally and hasn’t had anything to eat that he normally wouldn’t have either. His eyes are clear and he doesn’t have any discharge from his eyes or nose. He’s running around like normal and even popcorning with his brother. Is it possible for a guinea pig to loose their voice? It seems to me that he can’t really squeak like he normally would when he hears plastic which is weird because I fed him a few hours earlier and he was squeaking normally. Any advice that anyone can give will be hugely welcomed. I can’t seem to attach the recording of these noises but I will try to figure it out.
Thanks everyone!

Hey everyone,
In the past few hours I have noticed my piggie, Peanut (1year old ), is making very weird noises. They seem to be very low and almost sound like a mix between a dog barking and a pigeon. I have never heard this sound before at all and tried looking all over the internet for a guinea pig that sounds like this but I can’t find anything. Peanut is eating normally and hasn’t had anything to eat that he normally wouldn’t have either. His eyes are clear and he doesn’t have any discharge from his eyes or nose. He’s running around like normal and even popcorning with his brother. Is it possible for a guinea pig to loose their voice? It seems to me that he can’t really squeak like he normally would when he hears plastic which is weird because I fed him a few hours earlier and he was squeaking normally. Any advice that anyone can give will be hugely welcomed. I can’t seem to attach the recording of these noises but I will try to figure it out.
Thanks everyone!

I can’t offer any advice but I would suggest taking your little piggy to the vet as nobody on the forum is able to diagnose for definite and only a vet will know for sure. Hope your piggy is ok and you find out what’s causing the noise!

Hey everyone,
Thanks everyone!

Hi!

Could you please take a close up video or audio which you need to upload elsewhere and the copy into your next post.

It is impossible for us to comment just from your description as human perception and description of sensory issues differs enormously. Piggies can lose their big wheek but it could also have a more serious medical reason, in which case you should see a vet. If the problem persists more than a few hours or gets worse I would recommend to see a vet.

Here is the recording of the noise he is making. Hopefully it works 🤞

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
He may have something stuck. But if he’s still doing it I would take him to the vet just to be sure.

He may have something stuck. But if he’s still doing it I would take him to the vet just to be sure.
I’ve just seen him this morning and I can’t hear those noises anymore. I’m keeping a close eye on him though

I've had this with my guinea pigs before, and a rabbit. I think sometimes small pieces of hay/sawdust/dust can get up their nose.

Back