• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

SarahM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Looking for some advice please. I have 2 gorgeous girls who I’ve had for around 3 months. They’re the first guinea pigs I have looked after :). I’ve had them indoors since I got them in Feb in a Ferplast 120 but have introduced them to outside living slowly into a Windsor hutch. They seem to love being outside. Problem is, I don’t like the Windsor hutch, it’s draughty (Even with cover) and I have to keep moving it around the garden to get fresh grass for the open bottom, once piggies have eaten it all. It’s quite small in the sleeping area too. I’m looking at getting a solid base hutch for all year around. Thoughts are to get a 6ft single Chartwell or a double 5ft Chartwell. Single I can keep on patio close to the house and more sheltered, but the double would have to go in the lawn (More open) as it’s too tall... but has more space. And open to more predators. They are used to a ramp already...
Any thoughts or advice of what to do. I really can’t decide.

I would perhaps keep them on the patio and have a separate run for when they can be on the grass. It would also be better to close them inside once you’re going to bed. I don’t think it’s safe enough to let them wander around on the lawn at night without you there.

The Chartwell is used by several people on here. Have a look in the housing section for hutches and you can see the different setups and which ones they have.

I would perhaps keep them on the patio and have a separate run for when they can be on the grass. It would also be better to close them inside once you’re going to bed. I don’t think it’s safe enough to let them wander around on the lawn at night without you there.

The Chartwell is used by several people on here. Have a look in the housing section for hutches and you can see the different setups and which ones they have.
Thank you, I’ll take look.
I do close them up from the grass at night for safety but it leaves them with little room to move around :(

I would get them the single. The more ground floor space (which the 6ft would have over the 5ft) the better.

I would get them the single. The more ground floor space (which the 6ft would have over the 5ft) the better.
Thanks, I think I’m heading that way. I have a separate run for the lawn too so I think it should be fine for them.

I'd definately go with the single and seperate run. Whilst in theory its lovely having all the extra space you do have to be mindful of our tempremental weather, I'd much rather have a nice safe sheltered 6ft hutch close to the house.

I'd definately go with the single and seperate run. Whilst in theory its lovely having all the extra space you do have to be mindful of our tempremental weather, I'd much rather have a nice safe sheltered 6ft hutch close to the house.
Thanks 😊

Back