• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old piggy and recently noticed a white film covering the bottom part of her eye, it doesn’t seem to be affecting her as she still eats/drinks/plays so I’m hoping it’s just a cataract. Do you think it could be anything worse though? Normally I’d just go straight to the vets but can’t with COVID-19. In the photo it doesn’t seem very obvious as it seems to retract occasionally? I’m not sure though. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 10
I have a 5 year old piggy and recently noticed a white film covering the bottom part of her eye, it doesn’t seem to be affecting her as she still eats/drinks/plays so I’m hoping it’s just a cataract. Do you think it could be anything worse though? Normally I’d just go straight to the vets but can’t with COVID-19. In the photo it doesn’t seem very obvious as it seems to retract occasionally? I’m not sure though. Thank you!

Hi

Just seen your post; you posted it just after midnight UK time.

Unfortunately your picture is not clear enough to see whether it is an ulceration from an injury or infection or whether you have an elderly piggy with osseous metaplasia (soft tissue is replaced by bone).

The first requires a prompt vet visit while the second is not all that uncommon in older guinea pigs. It is not painful and there is nothing you or you vet can do about it.

Ulceration: Guinea Lynx :: Eyes
Here is a picture of a fully ulcerated eye after a hay poke; the ulceration on top of the surface has already gone.
IMG_0977_edited-1.jpg

Osseous metaplasia pictures: Links - Eye Conditions - Guinea Lynx Records

I am thinking more the second but I can only guess.

Last edited:
Back