• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White spots on eye

swiss_02

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)) hope everyone is having a good day! Mine is being stressfull, because I have been worried about my little girl misty! About a week and half ago I noticed misty had white spots on her eyes, I got really concerned because she has had problems in her eyes before, but she was eating well, pooping, peeing, everything! Anyways I decided to rush straight away to the vet, he did blood tests, some tests on the eye and nothing came up, so he said it might be a cholesterol infiltration, so I put them on a diet but up until now it looks the same! I don't know what to do, does the diet take more time to have effect? Is it something else? What should I do? Does anyone know what might this be? (I will attach the photos, it's not very noticeable on camera and it looks like light reflect but it's not!) Thank you right away for your help! And have an amazing rest of the "wheek" :))!

Attachments

• IMG-20200225-WA0044.jpeg
    IMG-20200225-WA0044.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20200225-WA0046.jpeg
    IMG-20200225-WA0046.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 4
Hello everyone :)) hope everyone is having a good day! Mine is being stressfull, because I have been worried about my little girl misty! About a week and half ago I noticed misty had white spots on her eyes, I got really concerned because she has had problems in her eyes before, but she was eating well, pooping, peeing, everything! Anyways I decided to rush straight away to the vet, he did blood tests, some tests on the eye and nothing came up, so he said it might be a cholesterol infiltration, so I put them on a diet but up until now it looks the same! I don't know what to do, does the diet take more time to have effect? Is it something else? What should I do? Does anyone know what might this be? (I will attach the photos, it's not very noticeable on camera and it looks like light reflect but it's not!) Thank you right away for your help! And have an amazing rest of the "wheek" :))!

Hi

It is impossible to tell from your pictures.

Here are some possible eye conditions: Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

Having white deposits on top the eye is rare. My Minx developed them but that was in pre-forum and social media times when information on bladder stone diets was extremely limited and definitely not effective - and my vet was (like yours) not quite sure what they were actually dealing with. Unfortunately there is not much you can do; they may impede sight a bit but they do not really impact on quality of life.

Have a look at our diet thread to see whether you may want to make any changes.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hi

It is impossible to tell from your pictures.

Here are some possible eye conditions: Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

Having white deposits on top the eye is rare. My Minx developed them but that was in pre-forum and social media times when information on bladder stone diets was extremely limited and definitely not effective - and my vet was (like yours) not quite sure what they were actually dealing with. Unfortunately there is not much you can do; they may impede sight a bit but they do not really impact on quality of life.

Have a look at our diet thread to see whether you may want to make any changes.
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Thank you so much for the quick answer :) would you say that it's not something to worry about? And should I keep the diet going? If you have any advice let me know please! Thank you so much!

Thank you so much for the quick answer :) would you say that it's not something to worry about? And should I keep the diet going? If you have any advice let me know please! Thank you so much!

I don't think it is something major to worry about. As I don't know your diet, I cannot comment on it. You may want to check it against our own diet link. I would recommend to stay off any foods like carrots or sweet corn that are high in sugar and also consider switching to a timothy based/grain-free pellet brand (again, limiting the sugar intake). But as everybody is just guessing, there is not a real lot that you can do.

The diet I feed is mostly that but for the 3 weeks before I started the diet I fed them way way to many treats! Almost daily :( there were always people in my house that wanted to give them treats and play with them so they ended up eating like 4 pea flakes a day and even loads of blueberries and tomatoes 😪😪! But now I am getting back on track! Cutted the maximum sugar I could, I feed them either hay from mountain hay (mixed herbs) or from cominther (chamomile or natural) and brit guinea pig food pellets.

My guinea pig Henry has something similar. It's not on the surface of the eyeball but 2 white marks inside his eye. You can only see them when he moves his eye so the bit that is normally hidden (the back of the eye towards his ear) becomes visible. I've just been keeping an eye on them and nothing has changed.
Hopefully our pigs eyes will stay as they are, otherwise it's off to the vets!

My guinea pig Henry has something similar. It's not on the surface of the eyeball but 2 white marks inside his eye. You can only see them when he moves his eye so the bit that is normally hidden (the back of the eye towards his ear) becomes visible. I've just been keeping an eye on them and nothing has changed.
Hopefully our pigs eyes will stay as they are, otherwise it's off to the vets!
Exactly, my vet said the white was inside the eye under the surface! But mine is noticeable at all times because its in a place u can see it! Thank u for the support! Do u think I should go to the vet again or just keep an eye and feed them a good diet?

Back