• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

White stuff on poop

As @Tiamolly123 mentioned above, is it possible for you to get a tiered cage if you can’t go longer or wider? I’ve attached a picture from Google to show you an example. Obviously you would need something to cover the tops so as not to risk the cat getting hold of the piggy.

Attachments

• F5B3D2DA-A108-4282-8A71-2B5895D502E3.jpeg
    F5B3D2DA-A108-4282-8A71-2B5895D502E3.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
What about one of these from eBay or amazon, they make a great flexible home and have zipped top and waterproof base, they come in various sizes and they can be squished into tight spaces being canvas, could you squeeze in one of these?

817A5067-2E15-4657-A8F3-4B60B1E9FF45.png

also its FABRIC, FABRIC gets wet and to the point its stuck, FABRIC is bad for piggies

Fabric in general is not bad for guinea pigs? I'm confused. The pen @Bill & Ted suggested can not harm the guinea pigs.
Plus with its waterproof base it getting wet wouldn't be an issue. And normally, there is a puppy pad then fleece on top for bedding, although some people use paper based bedding or hay. All work. I also wouldnt be to quick to shoot down their suggestion since it seems you are having problems with space, and this flexible pen would probably work great.

Please listen to what people are saying regarding cages. They just want the best for your piggy. Your current one is far too small. It's not fair to keep a pig in unsuitable accommodation just because you don't have space for a bigger cage. They do also need a friend. If you can't give your piggy what it needs the kindest thing to do would be to rehome it to someone who can.

but you dont understand... if we have a bigger cage, the closet wont open. its just too little of space... i want to work up but i dont know how

like there is 10cm free space max if i moved the feeder

Can you place a bigger cage in any of your other rooms? Bathroom, hallway, living room? What about on a table or work surface, or make a deep shelf?

We do understand. People are trying to make suggestions to help. However if you can't make space in that room or another, bottom line they can't be kept in a cage that small. It's unfair.

we have no living room. Living room=grandparents room and they dont wanna live with smelly messy piggy
Bathroom is small. nono

My great grands room=she wont let it and its small too and she would overfeed
like all rooms are small or occupied

Well sorry to be so blunt, but your piggy NEEDS company and a much bigger cage. If you care about their wellbeing you won't want them to suffer. Maybe it's time to look at rehoming options.

:agr:with @badwolf , a guinea can NOT live in these conditions. It is unfair to the guinea pig, especially since they cant do anything about it.

oh well. I'm gonna keep it because i cant do anything to rehome it i dont know anyone who could take it and pet stores are cruel

On the top of the forum page there is a "Rescue Locator", maybe you could check it out and see if there are any rescues in your area.

oh well. I'm gonna keep it because i cant do anything to rehome it i dont know anyone who could take it and pet stores are cruel

I'm with you in your dislike of pet shops. However keeping her in a cage that small all alone is cruel. There's no point in sugarcoating. If you don't want your piggy to suffer you need to rehome them. Look for rescues. Advertise online. You cannot keep her. It would be selfish.

My hospital cage is larger than the cage you have and I think that is too small but as it's only temporary and for an ill piggy or one recovering from an operation it's fine. I certainly wouldn't want to keep one in there permanently as it's home. As others have said your cage is far too small. Guinea Pigs are also NOT dirty and smelly if you clean them out regularly. We are only trying to help you give your piggy the best life and living in a tiny cage on its own is not a happy life for a piggy. You have have been given some good suggestions above.

To put things in perspective, my hamster's cage is bigger than that. Your piggy is in a cage that is even under the minimum recommended size for a hamster.

I just... cannot. I have no space. And also, what is he doing? When i put my finger in through the bars, he does a "hic" sound, opens his mouth wierd and bites me

I just... cannot. I have no space. And also, what is he doing? When i put my finger in through the bars, he does a "hic" sound, opens his mouth wierd and bites me

Hi! Your boy is obviously not happy; you are the only one he can interact with when he needs to compony round the clock. Guinea pigs explore the world with their teeth, but they also live in a strictly hierarchical society. If he only has you, then you are at the receiving end of his needs.
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

Can you please take your boy and let him have daily roaming time in the hall so he can exercise and do guinea pig things. This is absolutely vital for his long term health from digestion to organ stimulation (heart!). Also his muscles won't develop properly and he will become weak.
I have last summer adopted a guinea pig like yours that in two years has never been let out of a tiny cage. Dylan could not walk normally over even the length of a normal sized guinea pig cages without his back legs collapsing and him starting to hop because he had no strength in his legs. He has muscles now thanks to daily exercise but his walk will never be 100% right.
He is still funny about his food due to a bad diet although he is eating most of what he should be eating narly a year on. :(
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

PS: when talking fleece, we are talking a specific fabric that lets urine soak through into an absorbent layer below, which can be a cotton towel or dog puppy pad. This collects the moisture while the fleece layer stays dry. In order to achieve that, you need to wash any fleece without fabric softener because the softener seals the surface against moisture. It is a cheaper way of bedding as you only have to buy fleece once and can use old cotton towels for underneath. ;)
Here is more information: A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

Please consider very seriously whether keeping your piggy is in his best interests. He’s not having the company of another pig and likely won’t (not advisable to have a small cage with boys), and doesn’t have enough space.

Piggies are ground roaming animals so you really do need your cage to be 120cm+ (140cm+ for boys). Seeing as you can’t fit that anywhere, I would look at rehoming him. Imagine you were all alone with no other human around. You were ‘kept’ but elephants and only allowed to live in an area the size of a toilet. You weren’t allowed to see other humans and had no one to talk to Do you see what we all mean?

It may break your heart but please think what’s best for your boy and what he needs, and not what you want.

Back