• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Why Does My Guinea Pig Have Stringy Poo Sticking To Her Bum?

Why does my guinea pig have stringy poo sticking to her bum?

• You should take her to a vet

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • It might be digestion problems

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • There might be something on her foot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So, I have a guinea pig named Caramel, and she is 5 and will be 6 in about 2 or 3 months. (Nobody knows her real birthday.) She seems to be going through pain lately, and I hate to see her like this. She has been sort of hopping, sort of limping on her back legs instead of walking on them, and you can tell she doesn't want to put any weight on them. On top of that, her poo has been sticking to her bum, and I literally have to pry it out myself (YUCK!). Her poo's also been mushier than usual, but it's not exactly diarrhea. And it's sometimes a little stringy too. I have a vet very closeby. Should I get her checked out? Is this very common with guinea pigs? Should I say my final goodbyes? Please help me! Thanks! I appreciate the help!

So, I have a guinea pig named Caramel, and she is 5 and will be 6 in about 2 or 3 months. (Nobody knows her real birthday.) She seems to be going through pain lately, and I hate to see her like this. She has been sort of hopping, sort of limping on her back legs instead of walking on them, and you can tell she doesn't want to put any weight on them. On top of that, her poo has been sticking to her bum, and I literally have to pry it out myself (YUCK!). Her poo's also been mushier than usual, but it's not exactly diarrhea. And it's sometimes a little stringy too. I have a vet very closeby. Should I get her checked out? Is this very common with guinea pigs? Should I say my final goodbyes? Please help me! Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Please have any guinea pig in pain and with digestive trouble checked out by a vet promptly! If it is something treatable, then you can give your girl a good, pain-free old age and let her enjoy her life a bit longer. If it is not treatable, you can at least spare her any further suffering, which is the one precious gift we can give a beloved pet, as heart-breaking as it is. (I've just had to make that decision with one of mine yesterday. :( ) But please - as hard as it is to confront your own fears - make sure that she is not kept suffering!
As this seems to have gone on for a few days, please make sure tomorrow that you can have her seen asap, ideally on the same day.

Until then, please take her off all fresh veg, start weighing her daily at the same time, and if she has lost or is losing more than 50g/2 oz step in with syringe feeding. Pain is a real appetite killer in guinea pigs, but to stay alive, they need to be kept eating.
Here is our detailed illustrated step-by-step guide: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

As we have got members from all over your world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK, so we can adjust any advice and recommendations to what is available and possible where you are instead of having to keep it general. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Today, she's going to see my grandpa, and he's been a vet since LONG before I was born. She will be staying with him until I get back from vacation, which ends in one week and five days. It starts quite soon, and I'll see how she feels when I get back.

Today, she's going to see my grandpa, and he's been a vet since LONG before I was born. She will be staying with him until I get back from vacation, which ends in one week and five days. It starts quite soon, and I'll see how she feels when I get back.

Wishing you the best of luck! Please make sure that your granddad is weighing her and checking her daily. Guinea pig care and medical care has changed lots in the last 5-10 years.

My grandfather said that there is nothing to worry about! Like I said before, Caramel is 6. That's really old for a Guinea pig! He says that as things get older, they don't function as well. It's basically the old age is the reason she's dragging her back legs. As for the stringy poo, it has stopped now. The reason the poo is sticking to her bum is because she is dragging her back legs, and that means that it cannot reach the ground very well. He said that there is nothing to worry about, except to know that she is old. Thank you so so so soooo much for the help!!! I really appreciate it!!

My grandfather said that there is nothing to worry about! Like I said before, Caramel is 6. That's really old for a Guinea pig! He says that as things get older, they don't function as well. It's basically the old age is the reason she's dragging her back legs. As for the stringy poo, it has stopped now. The reason the poo is sticking to her bum is because she is dragging her back legs, and that means that it cannot reach the ground very well. He said that there is nothing to worry about, except to know that she is old. Thank you so so so soooo much for the help! I really appreciate it!

Hi! Stringy poo is a sign that her digestion is not working quite normally. Please take her off fresh food dor a day or two until the poos have normalised and re-introduce it slowly and carefully. Weigh her daily before her dinner and offer her syringe feed and water if she is losing weight. See a vet if that is not the case.
Syringe Feeding & Medicating Guides, Probiotics Links, First Aid Kit...

Your piggy also sounds like she has arthritis. That is very painful and should be checked out by vet, as she may need painkiller and glucosamine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back