• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wild Rats And Outdoor Guinea Pigs

jaffawid

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I keep my two guinea pigs in a shed outside. They have a hutch which they are shut in at night but they have a big enclosure they go in all around the shed all day. Only trouble is I’ve discovered rats in there, and I know they could hurt the pigs so I’m making plans for the pigs moving to a place in my land that’s safer. I’m just concerned that the rats could’ve spread disease to my pigs. Are there any signs I should be on the look out for?!

Hello welcome to the forum!

You need to make any hutch or enclosure rat proof. Rats can attack guinea pigs. You need to go over every inch of the hutch and shed and rat proof it, until that is done please bring your guinea pigs indoors into safety

I keep my two guinea pigs in a shed outside. They have a hutch which they are shut in at night but they have a big enclosure they go in all around the shed all day. Only trouble is I’ve discovered rats in there, and I know they could hurt the pigs so I’m making plans for the pigs moving to a place in my land that’s safer. I’m just concerned that the rats could’ve spread disease to my pigs. Are there any signs I should be on the look out for?!

Hi and welcome!

Yes, rats can transmit a couple of nasty viruses. Just keep your eye out for any signs of illness (especially respiratory ones) and see a vet asap. They will also attack and preferably kill any guinea pigs they can get at!

Back