• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Wondering how to travel with a GP

Gpowner

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi I was wondering the best way to travel with a guinea pig seeing as we have just moved and have no one to take care of her while we are gone all suggestions are appreciated

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
Have you checked if there are any rescues near by, as some of those do boarding.

Whereabouts are you? Someone on the forum might be able to recommend a boarding facility that they've used nearby.

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
OK - Unfortunately there aren't any rescues listed in Canada at all, I don't think. Guinealynx have a wider membership and might be able to give you a direct recommendation.

Have you registered with a vet yet? Would they be able to recommend anywhere?

Otherwise, what kind of location are you going to and how long a journey is it? You can get pop-up runs that I think some people on here use to take their GPs away for short trips (or emergencies). I'll see if I can find a link if you're interested :)

Gpowner

Junior Guinea Pig
we are taking a ferrie to vncouver then getting on a train to londonON

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
How long is the journey in terms of time? What kind of carrier do you have? Where will you be staying? How long are you there?

When are you travelling? Could you find a vet before you go?

It can be done, but you'll need to have some kind of run for them when you get to the other end.

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
How long is the train journey? Google is throwing up that it'll take 4 DAYS - is that correct? How long will you be staying when you get there?

If its the best you can do then its the best that you can do. However, if it were me I'd be trying to find boarding in Victoria - days at a time each way is a very VERY long time for a pig to spend unable to have a run around and stretch their legs.

Amy's Bunny Barn: Bunny Boarding in Victoria, BC - Buns Boutique ...https://bunsboutique.ca/bunny-boarding-amys/

Or you could ask the local branch of the SPCA if they have any recommendations: Victoria BC SPCA Branchhttps://spca.bc.ca › Locations

Gpowner

Junior Guinea Pig
ok thank you I will try to get guinea pig out of its carrier during the trip if not able to find boarding

Bill & Ted

Teenage Guinea Pig
Bill and Ted have travelled in a car for 6.5 hours on one trip and they were fine. Just make sure your piggie gets plenty of snacks and water. They seemed to quite enjoy the rhythm of the car. I took them recently to Devon on holiday, a 2 hour journey and used a puppy playpen which was great for the stay, it folds up and fits into a neat bag, it’s roomy enough to put in drinks feeder and a fleece. You can buy puppy pads from supermarket when you get there. I bought it from amazon.

Tangle

Junior Guinea Pig
Do you know how much space is there on the train? I know on a lot of the trains over here there's a good chance you'd be able to find a corner and pop up a small run so the GP could have a bit of a stretch out while the train was moving (assuming it was quiet enough) but I've no idea what a cross-CA train would be like in that regard.

Also, for the sake of my curiosity, is it a 4 day journey? I know CA is a big place but coming from a little country that still blows my mind!