• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Worried About My Piggie!

cwheeler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! I apologize in advance that this post will be lengthy as I try to give as much information as possible.

My mother and I own 2 guinea pigs, Hanna and Pippa. They live in separate cages because they do not get along, but they still peep at each other and communicate throughout the day. We pride ourselves in taking fantastic care of them and doing everything we can to make sure they are happy and healthy.

Pippa is 10 months old and we adopted her last June from a shelter. She has always been skittish, but she loves lettuce and wheeks loudly whenever we open the fridge. She’s shy, and she only allows me to pet her if I speak softly and approach slowly. She’s a great pig. About two months after we adopted her, she gave birth to a baby piglet. We didn’t know she was pregnant and neither did our vet, but we welcomed the little dude with open arms. Unfortunately he died after 11 days due to a heart disease. Pippa seems to have recovered very well from the incident, but my family is yet to relax. This is why I am so worried about my piglets and I worry about very small things.

Two days ago we arrived home from a vacation. While we were gone, the pigs stayed at a GP boarding place a few towns away. The couple who owns it are lovely women who love piglets just as much as we do. They’ve always done a fantastic job and Hanna loves them. Pippa is a little harder to read but doesn’t seem to have any issues with them. When we took them home from the boarding center, we noticed very quickly that Pippa was having trouble pooping. She would squeak in pain and squat, but then quickly shake it off and eat some food. We gave her lots of water and lettuce and within hours she was pooping like normal. Even though it was a minor incident quickly resolved, it shook me up a little bit. Today I opened the fridge and she didn’t react, she just sat in her corner until I opened the lettuce container. Then she waddled out and ate the lettuce out of my hand. She seems to be doing okay, but of course I am incredibly anxious. Is there anything I should look out for? My mom says she’s probably just getting used to being home again, but I can’t help but worry. She’s my baby and I love her so much.

tldr; pig was constipated, seems to be fine now, but I want to know if there’s anything I should watch for.

Hannah2803

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d say if you’re truly not sure whether she’s better or not, take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Guinea pigs are funny animals and one small illness can knock them down quite fast if it’s not caught quickly.

cwheeler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Update: I think she’s okay! She’s back to normal behavior, but please still let me know if there’s anything I should be looking for.

cwheeler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’d say if you’re truly not sure whether she’s better or not, take her to the vet just to be on the safe side. Guinea pigs are funny animals and one small illness can knock them down quite fast if it’s not caught quickly.
Thank you so much! I was fully planning to take her to the vet tonight, but I sat by her cage all day today and she’s gotten back to running around and wheeking for food. She let me pick her up and check her out, and everything seems fine. I’m still gonna keep an eye on her, but I think I got all worked up over a little dehydration.

Seven7

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Welcome!
Sorry to hear about your situation.
Like you said, continue to monitor her and if you don't see anything wrong with her, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
However, if she doesn't start to act normally, I would take her to see the vet.

If two piggies went to the same caretaker but only one acts strange, maybe that piggies is a bit more sensitive to new environment?