• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Xeno Vs Rearguard

gibbo0o

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Guys :)
Just looking for some advice really from anyone that has experience with these two products!

So I have a male long haired Silkie Pig, I groom him on a regards basis yet he still gets urine smelly and the occasional cling onof bedding around his back end if I don't do it practically every day! As of next week he will be living permanently outside in a new hutch/run. I am particularly worried about fly strike due to the nature of his hair and therefore want to know if I can use rear guard on him as I know how great this product really is in rabbits? It has the exact same active ingredient (Ivermectin) as in Xeno which can be used in guinea pigs but doesn't prevent fly strike!?
So I'm just wondering if I can use rear guard on my boy, or if not why not compared to Xeno?
Thanks in advance!

@gibbo0o Sorry that you didn't get a reply, I have no experience with Rearguard so let the question for others.

Did you use it? If not, I'd consult a vet firsr as it isn't the same as Xeno. Xeno is Ivermectin and Rearguard is Cyromazine which is apparently an insect growth regulator.

My long haird piggie has regularly trims to keep his hair and bottom nice and clean. Do you trim your boy?

I'd definitely advise a short hair cut around the bum to prevent anything nasty. I would have thought this better than the chemicals.

I have no knowledge of the drugs; but good hygiene and daily checks must be the first port of call I would have thought.

The advice I have seen from more knowledgeable members on here in the past is that preventative treatments are fairly pointless. Ivermectin for example is not a fly repellent and will not stop the flies from laying eggs. In fact low doses of ivermectin as a preventative treatment can build up resistance to the product which could mean treatments for mites in the future could be less effective at clearing any infestations.

I don't have direct experience of rearguard to comment directly on the product. My piggies live outdoors permanently and I do not use a preventative treatment

Following the loss ofToffe who had fly strike as a secondary infection I was advised by my vet to use Rearguard. To be honest he was an excellent vet and ordinarily I would question a lot of the non cavy vets but he’s been spot on.
I bought a similar product and treated all my pigs because I was horrified at the thought the others would be affected. I checked there last Zeno treatment and bath date to be on the safe side
Tips: spray your hutch with fly hutch stuff, read the instructions carefully. Use a fly cover Across the front and ensure it’s tight and secured to the Velcro, no gaps. In hot weather check the bedding for creepy crawlers and change more regular.
Grass time: use a Muslim cloth or voile material to stop flies getting in as they are attracted to their poos.

Back