• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Zooming and Popcorning

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new dad of a month old Silkie Sow from the Philippines.
She has been with me for almost 2 weeks now and I noticed that she's a little bit less skittish than the first week, but she still runs and hide when I do sudden movements and still won't let me lift her up.
What I noticed recently is that when I put food in her cage, she would make sound while eating or drinking and when I start talking to her while she's eating, she would start running very fast inside the cage with jumping. Especially when I ask her in a very friendly voice if she's happy. Is this popcorning? Zooming? Does that mean she's comfortable with me?
Thanks!

Hello!

Yes, that sounds pretty much like she's getting more comfortable. It's hard to say for sure if she's zooming or popcorning, it's probably a mixture of both, but I'd say it's good either way.

Don't worry about her not letting you lift her up, two weeks is a very short time and it may take a long time yet for her to be comfortable with it. That doesn't mean she doesn't like you, so don't lose heart.

I've had my piggies for nearly 3 years and they still hate being picked up. They are very happy and trust me completely once I have picked them up as they know I won't hurt them. Their prey instinct is very strong and their default is "I'm going to be eaten, I must run".

Thank
Hello!

Yes, that sounds pretty much like she's getting more comfortable. It's hard to say for sure if she's zooming or popcorning, it's probably a mixture of both, but I'd say it's good either way.

Don't worry about her not letting you lift her up, two weeks is a very short time and it may take a long time yet for her to be comfortable with it. That doesn't mean she doesn't like you, so don't lose heart.
Thank you! She's really teaching me to be patient 😂

I've had my piggies for nearly 3 years and they still hate being picked up. They are very happy and trust me completely once I have picked them up as they know I won't hurt them. Their prey instinct is very strong and their default is "I'm going to be eaten, I must run".
Yeah, she's very very skittish 😂

if she's running and pop corning then she is settling in well and is a happy girl.
It will still take time for her to accept handing.
It took my Phoebe about 6 months before she stopped running away to hide every time I came near, now she is a very happy and confident girl.
Patience - it's worth it

if she's running and pop corning then she is settling in well and is a happy girl.
It took my Phoebe about 6 months before she stopped running away to hide every time I came near, now she is a very happy and confident girl.
Patience - it's worth it
I hope she does hahaha. Also, she started gnawing on her cage, is that okay?

Patience - it's worth it
I hope she does hahaha. Also, she started gnawing on her cage, is that okay?

Hi,
I'm a new dad of a month old Silkie Sow from the Philippines.
She has been with me for almost 2 weeks now and I noticed that she's a little bit less skittish than the first week, but she still runs and hide when I do sudden movements and still won't let me lift her up.
What I noticed recently is that when I put food in her cage, she would make sound while eating or drinking and when I start talking to her while she's eating, she would start running very fast inside the cage with jumping. Especially when I ask her in a very friendly voice if she's happy. Is this popcorning? Zooming? Does that mean she's comfortable with me?
Thanks!

Hi!

Young piggies love being encouraged when zooming and popcorning (zooming is the running and popcorning the jumping, but you can see any individual combination and form of the two, like every human has their own free dance style). it is an expression of joie de vivre, happiness and excess energy.

It is a good sign that she is coming out of herself.

Picking up is cutting very close to their prey animal instincts; most piggies will never like it.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Please consider getting your little girl a same sex companion; guinea pigs are group animals that should not be kept alone - they really require company round the clock for constant reassurance and stimulation. That is something that we can just not provide, even with regular run time and cuddles; we do have a working and social human life, the same way that piggies require a piggy life for whenever you are not around and with them.
That doesn't mean less love for you. Plus, you get the fun of watching the lively and complex vocal interaction, which is making guinea pigs so unique and endearing! ;)
Companionship
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All these very helpful and informative guides are part of our most useful new owners guide collection, which is full of practical tips and experiences to help new owners to a smooth start and to learn what is normal and what not. We are specifically addressing all the areas that we get the most questions and concerns about.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Hi!

Young piggies love being encouraged when zooming and popcorning (zooming is the running and popcorning the jumping, but you can see any individual combination and form of the two, like every human has their own free dance style). it is an expression of joie de vivre, happiness and excess energy.

It is a good sign that she is coming out of herself.

Picking up is cutting very close to their prey animal instincts; most piggies will never like it.
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Please consider getting your little girl a same sex companion; guinea pigs are group animals that should not be kept alone - they really require company round the clock for constant reassurance and stimulation. That is something that we can just not provide, even with regular run time and cuddles; we do have a working and social human life, the same way that piggies require a piggy life for whenever you are not around and with them.
That doesn't mean less love for you. Plus, you get the fun of watching the lively and complex vocal interaction, which is making guinea pigs so unique and endearing! ;)
Companionship
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All these very helpful and informative guides are part of our most useful new owners guide collection, which is full of practical tips and experiences to help new owners to a smooth start and to learn what is normal and what not. We are specifically addressing all the areas that we get the most questions and concerns about.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

thank you, these are very helpful. My only concern is, she doesn't seem to eat enough Hay. I'm not sure if it's okay to just leave Hay in her cage for an entire day just for her to learn how to eat it. She would eat bits and pieces but not all of it. Maybe if I leave her nothing but Hay, she would get hungry and eat it.
Thanks

She should have a nice big bundle of hay in her cage at all times. Just top it up and remove any soiled stuff once or twice a day. She can have a small handful of pellets and about a cup of mixed veggies at other times. I give the nuggets in the morning and veggies in the evening, but you can split the veggies and give them a couple of times a day. Have you pics of your new cutie?

thank you, these are very helpful. My only concern is, she doesn't seem to eat enough Hay. I'm not sure if it's okay to just leave Hay in her cage for an entire day just for her to learn how to eat it. She would eat bits and pieces but not all of it. Maybe if I leave her nothing but Hay, she would get hungry and eat it.
Thanks

Always leave plenty of hay in the cage and rather feed veg (ca. 10% of the daily food intake) and pellets (1 tablespoon per piggy per day, youngsters undr 4 months can have two tablespoons) in portions that can be eaten in one go. your piggies won't eat all hay, just the nicest bits, but as hay should make over 80% of what they eat; fill up twice daily. if you can, offer spikier timothy hay in a rack and soft orchard or meadow hay in a heap to burrow, play and sleep in; it can be in a tray underneath the hay rack and serve as a day bed-cum-toilet. Change daily.
Most people overfeed veg and pellets, and many underfeed hay. You may find these guides here helpful:
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight

All these guides are part of our New Owners Guide collection, which specifically addresses all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about. It ranges from settling in and making friend with your piggies (including some piggy whispering tips), diet, care and housing (including safe/unsafe toys and accessories); care in very hot and cold weather; understanding behaviour; learning what is normal and not and how to spot early signs of illness, first aid kits and how to train for medicating etc...

I do, if you want, you can check my Instagram stories, I've posted a video of her popcorning and gnawing on her cage last night hahaha Instragram: @ishimercado

Always leave plenty of hay in the cage and rather feed veg (ca. 10% of the daily food intake) and pellets (1 tablespoon per piggy per day, youngsters undr 4 months can have two tablespoons) in portions that can be eaten in one go. your piggies won't eat all hay, just the nicest bits, but as hay should make over 80% of what they eat; fill up twice daily. if you can, offer spikier timothy hay in a rack and soft orchard or meadow hay in a heap to burrow, play and sleep in; it can be in a tray underneath the hay rack and serve as a day bed-cum-toilet. Change daily.
Most people overfeed veg and pellets, and many underfeed hay. You may find these guides here helpful:
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

All these guides are part of our New Owners Guide collection, which specifically addresses all the areas we get the most questions and concerns about. It ranges from settling in and making friend with your piggies (including some piggy whispering tips), diet, care and housing (including safe/unsafe toys and accessories); care in very hot and cold weather; understanding behaviour; learning what is normal and not and how to spot early signs of illness, first aid kits and how to train for medicating etc...
Thank you sooo much!

Unless you can watch 24 hours a day it’s not easy to tell how much they’re eating.
As has been said- just make sure you feed a balanced diet and lots of hay

Back