• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

1 Eye Duller, Drier, Little Cloudy

Katy Pardoe

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello

I got a new guinea pig yesterday after years of not having any and I'm quite worried about this eye (see photos below). His other is lovely and bright but this one seems slightly receded with a patch of cloudiness on it. It is drier than the other and has a very small amount of crustiness on the outside. I thought it might be from hay now but I'm not so sure...

Has anyone had the same problem? Any ideas what it is? Will it just go away or does he need the vet?20180321_111225.jpg20180321_111221.jpg

20180321_111225.jpg

Hello

I got a new guinea pig yesterday after years of not having any and I'm quite worried about this eye (see photos below). His other is lovely and bright but this one seems slightly receded with a patch of cloudiness on it. It is drier than the other and has a very small amount of crustiness on the outside. I thought it might be from hay now but I'm not so sure...

Has anyone had the same problem? Any ideas what it is? Will it just go away or does he need the vet?View attachment 83252View attachment 83253

View attachment 83254

Hi! Please see a vet promptly for an untreated eye infection; ideally as soon as possible! Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly. The sooner you can start treatment, the greater the chances of saving the eye.

The eye looks dehydrated, too, so please ask your vet not just for antibiotic drops (ideally chloramphenicol for advanced cases as yours), but also for a locally available brand of rehydrating artificial tear gel (gel is effective for longer than drops). You have to wait with any rehydrating gel for at least half an hour after the antibiotic drops, but ideally you can get at least up to 6 lots into the eye in 24 hours.
Because the eye is going to be very painful, especially at first, a painkiller/anti-inflammatory will also help with giving your piggy as much comfort as possible.

You can reclaim any vet cost from a pet shop by presenting the vet bill and a diagnosis together with the bill of sale if you have been basically sold damaged ware. The sooner you see a vet, the stronger your case.

Hi! Please see a vet promptly for an untreated eye infection; ideally as soon as possible! Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly. The sooner you can start treatment, the greater the chances of saving the eye.

The eye looks dehydrated, too, so please ask your vet not just for antibiotic drops (ideally chloramphenicol for advanced cases as yours), but also for a locally available brand of rehydrating artificial tear gel (gel is effective for longer than drops). You have to wait with any rehydrating gel for at least half an hour after the antibiotic drops, but ideally you can get at least up to 6 lots into the eye in 24 hours.
Because the eye is going to be very painful, especially at first, a painkiller/anti-inflammatory will also help with giving your piggy as much comfort as possible.

You can reclaim any vet cost from a pet shop by presenting the vet bill and a diagnosis together with the bill of sale if you have been basically sold damaged ware. The sooner you see a vet, the stronger your case.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make an appointment. I'm not sure I can recoup the costs as I bought him from a lady who has gone quiet, but if I can save his eye that's something.

Thanks again

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make an appointment. I'm not sure I can recoup the costs as I bought him from a lady who has gone quiet, but if I can save his eye that's something.

Thanks again

I am very sorry that you have become another victim of people getting rid of their pets and lying through their teeth in order to avoid any necessary vet treatment. :(

At least he is in good and more responsible hands now!

Hi, welcome to the forum. let us know how he gets on. With prompt veterinary treatment it is remarkable how well eyes can heal. Would be lovely to see more pictures of him when he is better

Back