2 Girls Fighting

Mabel&Shirley

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone I have just joined. I have 2 female guinea pigs, they are only 8-12 weeks old and we have had them for nearly two weeks. They have a two tier hutch, with toys, varied diet etc and come out for floor time every evening for a couple of hours. Tonight however the slightly larger one (Shirley) started puffing and nipping the smaller one (Mabel) and Mabel was up on her hind legs. There was a lot of squeaking but no low rumbling, I took Mabel out and Shirley then was running around and wheeking. Is she looking for her? I have put them back in their cage now and for the last 15 mins they seem to be ok again. It’s hard to know when to jump in. I want them to sort it out amongst themselves but don’t want them to get hurt. Shirley isn’t a big fan of cuddle time. She puffs at me when she has had enough and doesn’t like to be stroked on her back or bum. Any help or suggestions welcome. Thank you

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone I have just joined. I have 2 female guinea pigs, they are only 8-12 weeks old and we have had them for nearly two weeks. They have a two tier hutch, with toys, varied diet etc and come out for floor time every evening for a couple of hours. Tonight however the slightly larger one (Shirley) started puffing and nipping the smaller one (Mabel) and Mabel was up on her hind legs. There was a lot of squeaking but no low rumbling, I took Mabel out and Shirley then was running around and wheeking. Is she looking for her? I have put them back in their cage now and for the last 15 mins they seem to be ok again. It’s hard to know when to jump in. I want them to sort it out amongst themselves but don’t want them to get hurt. Shirley isn’t a big fan of cuddle time. She puffs at me when she has had enough and doesn’t like to be stroked on her back or bum. Any help or suggestions welcome. Thank you
Hi and welcome

Please put your two girls back together. What you are witnessing is normal dominance behaviour, most likely in connection with a season with a spot of submissive protest squeaking thrown in.

Please do not separate guinea pigs that are not fighting - something that is very rare in sows anyway!

You may find these guides here helpful to learn to understand guinea pig social behaviours:
Sow Behaviour
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Mabel&Shirley

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice, they are back in together and hopefully it’s just a season and will be over in a couple of days. I just would hate for one of them to get hurt because I didn’t step in. I will hold my nerve and not get involved unless it gets really nasty. I will have a good read through all the guides. Thanks again

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m afraid sow behaviour is not all sweetness and light as people seem to think. Even the most stable bonded pairs can go mad when one is in season. The guides you’ve been directed to give a good idea as to what is normal sow behaviour. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable to watch, but you have to leave them to get on with it,

Kiko+Peanut

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I feel the same way. My two girls are bonding, going pretty well actually. I just don't like it how Peanut (dominant) is always pushing Kiko around, the sad part is, Kiko sits there and takes it. It's really sad. I try not to jump in, but it's really hard.

But like everyone said above, this is completely normal, they are just trying to decide who's dominant. Don't separate unless it's 'bloody'.