• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

2 new pigs not getting on so well!

Stretters91

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys
We have just moved in our new home and decided to get 2 new pigs for us ! We was told there are 2 months between them but was also told they are from same litter ! From pets at home !
Anywhooo !
We had a normal cage but noticed they didn’t have a lot of space and one of them ( we think older one digby) has been rumble strutting a lot ! So we decided to upgrade to a c and c cage with loft , how ever the rumble strutting seems to be getting worse and now teeth chattering has started! They seem to clash ever so often and digby goes for monty’s Ears ! When they clash !
Just wondering if we should be worried or not ? There has been no blood or marks as of yet !
Any help would be appreciated for 2 New Guinea pig owners !
Thanks
Stu :)

@Wiebke for this one. I've tagged in another member who will know what to do 👍

Welcome to the forum 🙂

Thanks so much !
We are just worried about Monty the younger one as he seems to be squeaking a awful lot when digby is around him !

Unfortunately Wiebke isn't very well at the moment so not on the forum much while she recovers.

Please make sure you double check the sexes of both your piggies. Given that you have been given conflicting information on their age it's definitely worth being reassured that everything's as expected. We have a sexing guide here Illustrated Sexing Guide

What size cage do you have them in? Pet shops are well known for selling adequate sized cages. Especially boars who need more space to sometimes get through the difficult teenage years together with no fall outs. Here is our cage size guide which gives an idea of the space needed Cage Size Guide

In terms of them getting on I would recommend getting familiar with dominance behaviours in guinea pigs Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics and then be aware of what can happen if piggies fall out Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

It's a common misconception that litter mates will always get on but making sure they have space and two of everything - water bottles, hideys, food bowls, etc - will help to minimise the risk of a fall out

Thanks so much !
We are just worried about Monty the younger one as he seems to be squeaking a awful lot when digby is around him !
It doesn't sound the worst. So that's good, but I have only bonded two pigs before and it went well, so no experience

Thanks everyone ! They are only roughly 4 months old, but it just seems as though the older one is “bullying” the other. And as new owners we don’t want the younger to feel sad and he chases him out the den sometimes ! So just don’t know what to do for best !

Ps these two were in the same pen when we bought them :)

How big is their C&C and do they have 2 of everything (hides with 2 doors, food bowls, water bottles etc)?
The boys are coming into their teenage months and need space and lots of resources so they don't have anything to 'bicker' about.

It’s 4x2 with an optional loft
We have three houses and a tube that they can go in

Dominance/hierarchy bickering can last two weeks or more, it doesn't matter that they were in the same pen the fact that it's new territory means they start again. Some piggies are naturally more bossy. I have a very dominant sow who always circles the veggies so the others can't get in until she has chosen where she is starting and she kicks them out of beds when she decides she wants to (and not always because she wants the bed). She's just reinforcing her position as top pig quite zealously.

If you can increase to a 5x2 c&c on one level that can help ease tensions. I'll grab the guides for new owners too as that includes things like the weekly health check. It's always worth weighing and keeping a record of weights weekly. If any pig is being bullied they won't be allowed enough food and weight loss will be your first symptom. If both are gaining weight and not drawing blood then it's a good sign that they will work things out

Thanks ! Tbh the younger one also chirps around happy enough and even pop corns , so it can’t be that bad ! I think it looks worse than it is for us being new to guinea pigs !

Thanks ! Tbh the younger one also chirps around happy enough and even pop corns , so it can’t be that bad ! I think it looks worse than it is for us being new to guinea pigs !

Yes dominance behaviours like nipping at ears and headbutting etc can look very daunting. It's the squeals that get me in bonding. Even now and years in, when a new piggy is introduced and one of them ends up emitting a high pitched squeal it sounds painful even though I know it's just squeals of submission

Thanks guys
Just a quick question the older one seems very nasel , like you can hear him breathing if that makes sense from his nose , sounds like he has a cold ! Would this effect anything with his sense of smell ? I noticed yesterday when you give him strong smelling herbs he has them straight away but herbs like chive which isn’t very powerful , he doesn’t have ?

Thanks guys
Just a quick question the older one seems very nasel , like you can hear him breathing if that makes sense from his nose , sounds like he has a cold ! Would this effect anything with his sense of smell ? I noticed yesterday when you give him strong smelling herbs he has them straight away but herbs like chive which isn’t very powerful , he doesn’t have ?

Please have your piggy seen by a vet for any issue with breathing. Piggies have narrow airways so dust etc can make them sneeze but it’s never worth the risk of leaving any breathing issue unchecked as URIs can creep up and you need to get them treated promptly to ensure the best outcome.

I don’t think they should eat chives.... @PigglePuggle - do you know? I’ve never seen them on the food list as being piggy safe

Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Last edited:
No piggies shouldnt eat chives, its like onions and garlic... safe herbs are coriander (daily if you like, high vit C and low calcium) and parsley and dill (once a week or less, high vit C but also high calcium) and I think I have heard of mint being fed safely. Not chives. It may be unrelated to his breathing, but any unusual breathing that lasts more than about half an hour needs a vet check!

Agree with the above, Chives should not be fed as they are part of the onion family and any doubt you have about their health would be best checked with a knowledgeable cavy vet.

Check this for vets if you need any help choosing - Vet Locator

No piggies shouldnt eat chives, its like onions and garlic... safe herbs are coriander (daily if you like, high vit C and low calcium) and parsley and dill (once a week or less, high vit C but also high calcium) and I think I have heard of mint being fed safely. Not chives. It may be unrelated to his breathing, but any unusual breathing that lasts more than about half an hour needs a vet check!

Yes mine are quite partial to a bit of mint. They also have oregano, basil, sage and thyme just because I have those growing in my herb planter :))

Back