• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

3x2 with loft or 4x2 grid cage?

flower.piggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya!
I have 2 piggies (Poppy and Lilly) and had them in a 3x2 cage with loft as I thought that it'd be the same as a 4x2 grid cage. I have been doubting my thought process and yesterday finally gave in and added the loft part on the floor so they have a 4x2 cage now. Is this better? They arent the best of friends, more like sisters as they popcorn together but seconds after they are rumblestrutting and raising their heads at each other.
I just want them to be the happiest they can be so some advice would be much appreciated! Thank you! :)

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

You may find the thread in the above link useful. In the section Guinea Pig Info in the green bar above there is lots of helpful information.
4 x 2 is a much better size, it gives them room to run around on one level, guinea pigs are by nature ground dwelling animals. 4 x 2 is the minimum size for 2 girls.

Welcome

A loft does not count towards the total cage space, and as a 3x2 cage is not really big enough for two piggies, you have absolutely done the right thing in giving them a single level 4x2.

How long have you had them and how old are they?
Their behaviour is normal for a bonded pair, so don’t worry that they don’t like each other.

Welcome

A loft does not count towards the total cage space, and as a 3x2 cage is not really big enough for two piggies, you have absolutely done the right thing in giving them a single level 4x2.

How long have you had them and how old are they?
Their behaviour is normal for a bonded pair, so don’t worry that they don’t like each other.
I've had Poppy for a year now, she was in a pet store in a tiny cage and had long matted hair (she's a texel) and I wanted to give her a better home. As I did more research I realised I should not buy guinea pigs from pet stores so I wont do that again haha. I live in Portugal and sadly there arent any shelters with guinea pigs nearby, nor are there any bonding services available so I just kept checking facebook groups to see if any needed rehoming so i could get her a friend. 2 months ago i found Lilly on there, she was also in a tiny cage alone and with nails so long they almost grew into her feet so the day after i picked her up. They were in separate cages for about a week where they could see and smell each other, I then tried introducing them in a neutral area but Lilly showed a lot of fear aggression and Poppy was pretty dominant so I decided to let Lilly settle in more to make her less fearful and aggressive. A week after I tried again and after 3 hours they finally settled down and started cleaning themselves next to each other and eating and drinking together. Everyday there is still a bit of a stand off like i described in my earlier post but there is no blood being drawn or anything so that makes me feel more at ease!
Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely keep the 4x2 set up now :)

I’d go for bigger floor space with the 4x2 here’s what my two look like in that set up…
Nice fresh pen and happy piggies 🥰
They are so cute! Mine seem very happy with the 4x2 as well hehe I'm so glad I did a bit of DIY and changed it up! Ive included a picture of the cage now and the cage before ☺️

Attachments

• 20230731_170901.jpg
    20230731_170901.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230629_122914.jpg
    20230629_122914.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 9
Back